Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden copping a pasting in the V8s

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
Sorry for not reading the posts, If i recall correctly, 7 were discussing the FG Falcon's superior aerodynamics due to their shape. Prolly one of many reasons :thumbsup:

that doesn't hold a lot of water either..... take a look at the profile of both cars, they look like twins.

eurekamad94

street kiddo
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted, tuned, sick pantha VS
cbf'd reading the whole thread so sorry if ive said something elready mentiond

there not car's there race car's you can make anything go fast if you chuck a shitload of money at it if i had it my way they would be racing stock ss commodores and stock xr8's
no 15 computer's in the pit bay no engineer. just a car a driver and 3 pit blokes to take care of the dirty stuff

i dont even watch bathurst now(well i watch the start and the end)

end of rant :D

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
Im still into the v8's.. I used to be much much more, coz as you said we used to rule the track, but gone are those days :(

anyway... in my expert opinion. lol. we have no good drivers left, and the ones that were good. arent anymore.

As soon as skaife took over HRT he went wayyy down hill, i was suprised when he actually finished a race haha

Murphy always used to be up the top, now i cant remember the last time he had a podium finish.

The kelly broters... where are they these days!... and tander... hmmm

shame really :(

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Im still into the v8's.. I used to be much much more, coz as you said we used to rule the track, but gone are those days :(

anyway... in my expert opinion. lol. we have no good drivers left, and the ones that were good. arent anymore.

As soon as skaife took over HRT he went wayyy down hill, i was suprised when he actually finished a race haha

Skaife bought himself a **** sandwitch with that team. He went into fight with Walkinshaw with a sling shot when Tom turned up with a gattling gun. Was never going to work. Sadly the days of the team owner also driving are long gone if you want to be winning.

Murphy always used to be up the top, now i cant remember the last time he had a podium finish.

Not sure what happened to him. Things have been on a steady deciline since the end of the K-Mart days.

The kelly broters... where are they these days!... and tander... hmmm

The Kellys are a team to watch. Being a brand new outfit i'd be suprised to see much out of them this year. They will have huge expectations on their shoulders for next season though.

cbf'd reading the whole thread so sorry if ive said something elready mentiond

there not car's there race car's you can make anything go fast if you chuck a shitload of money at it if i had it my way they would be racing stock ss commodores and stock xr8's
no 15 computer's in the pit bay no engineer. just a car a driver and 3 pit blokes to take care of the dirty stuff

Sounds good. Pitty it doesn't work. If you went back to racing stock standard cars there would be no Ford or GM involvement. The racing would be boring as one product would dominate the other winning 75% of the races. The only way 2nd best would get a look in would be due to an accident or mechanical failure (ie luck).

The old Group A days were similar to this and racing was much the poorer for it. First it was the Sierra's in the late 80's then followed by Nissan. Unless you were on board the flavor of the month then forget about any sort of result. Brock's '87 victory was his best and very much fitted the "aussie battler" and "under dog" status. Unfortunately it was also very much a fluke. Texaco were streets ahead of the rest of the field that day. If they had actually followed the rules they still would have won it at a canter....

Reaper

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The problem is that as long as you are using two different designs of equipment, one is always going to be superior to the other. The only way you can achieve true parity is for everybody to be using the same equipment supplied by the same manufacturer.

I see it every weekend racing my boats and it happens everywhere machinery is involved in sport.

Reaper

i agree, however the lesser of the two cars at the moment is the make that has been altered (penalised) the most by operation blue(oval)print. i wouldn't be pissed off if the Holden was loosing because the FG is the better car, but it's not, it's loosing because of politics. the VE built into a racecar with original wheel base/track and weight distribution and without the other penalties bestowed upon it by AVESCO would beat the FG.

at the end of the day, they will loose spectators. Ford has already pulled some sponsorship. a day may come when Holden has had enough and does the same.

it's a real shame we have such poor motorsport coverage here in NZ so there isn't much to watch. everything has delayed coverage with means you generally know the result before you get to see the racing 2-3weeks later:bang: may have to go back to watching drag racing

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
meh, someone posted the entire 1991 bathurst on youtube so i say, every year when bathurst is on, instead of watching it, replay 1991 race.

it will never get as good as that again :) burthurst turned crap in 93'

anyway, i am glad they canned group b, c etc cos' otherwise i wouldnt be able to import the 32 gtr and wouldnt have a job...

Premier 350

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Aclaim Wagon
It doesn't help that the stewards turn a blind eye to team teflon (888)
judas and whincup are allowed to get away with conduct that would earn any other team -Holden or frod- a penality.

Look at the " lets just queue the cars in pit lane" attitude they displayed
at Winton. Or last season- judas is allowed to bash Tander (Sandown) with
half the grill flopping in the breeze. But as soon as Tander leant on whincup
( Hidden Valley) the stewards sit up and take notice.

Their bias is almost as bad as in 2003 when dirty marcos was allowed to push and punt his way to a 'Championship'

It's not that 888 aren't good, they are very,very good. But the rules should apply them as well.

On the bright side, I p****ed myself laughing when frosty managed to parley YET ANOTHER pole into nothing,nilch,zero,zip, SFA, nada

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Omega and i were at sandown 500 2003? and saw the last true holden romp it in and beat ambrose, was Mark skaife and Todd kelly man it p1ssed down that day LOL, the next season all holden teams switched to the holden motorsport engine (allot of teams were already using a chev block if not all at this stage but the HM engine was a different casting almost identicle in bore and stoke and the degree of the V to the ford 5 litre).

(by true holden i mean holden/chev 5 litre not the older design chev 304 which is the HM one, and mcpherson strut front end) Holden was too quick in this form and after this avesco changed to the rules for project blueprint which makes the holdens run double wishbone front suspension like the fords which was not even manufactured by holden in a road car until VE (project help ford win because they are slower)--thats my understanding anyways plz correct me if im wrong

I love F1 thats the real sh1t but even thats gettin messed up by the powers that be

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
blame operation BLUEprint........ the Blue Oval, you do the math.

i remember a few years back when HRT, Kmart and the HSV teams werebanned from testing because they worked together. this year Jim beam racing, team 888 vodafone and another team all built there cars together and yet that is fine. more double standards. i turned the race on but didn't really watch it.

the only satisfying thing in the whole race was seeing lowndes suffer

T8 is building the chassis for other teams, like what HRT does. Nothing different.
W.Davidson will be the next champion in the Holden camp as he is a great driver. Mind you Whincup will have to go off to NASCAR for this to happen.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Omega and i were at sandown 500 2003? and saw the last true holden romp it in and beat ambrose, was Mark skaife and Todd kelly man it p1ssed down that day LOL, the next season all holden teams switched to the holden motorsport engine (allot of teams were already using a chev block if not all at this stage but the HM engine was a different casting almost identicle in bore and stoke and the degree of the V to the ford 5 litre).

(by true holden i mean holden/chev 5 litre not the older design chev 304 which is the HM one, and mcpherson strut front end) Holden was too quick in this form and after this avesco changed to the rules for project blueprint which makes the holdens run double wishbone front suspension like the fords which was not even manufactured by holden in a road car until VE (project help ford win because they are slower)--thats my understanding anyways plz correct me if im wrong

I love F1 thats the real sh1t but even thats gettin messed up by the powers that be

When did the last "true Holden" race??? How can you claim that the chev was a true Holden? IIRC the last Holden 5 litre raced was by Larry Perkins in the mid
90's - VP or VR. I Ambrose was a child back then!

Of course you could argue that the last car with more than a passing resemblance to it's road going counterpart was the VN Group A which died a natural in the very early 90's after being the GTR's whipping boy for a couple of seasons.

Reaper

Last edited: