Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Extended Factory Warranty - Thoughts and Opinions Requested

Extend the factory warranty?

• Yes - great idea

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No - waste of money

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
I'm one of those fools that buys extended warranty on white goods anyway. And I have used the extended warranty almost everytime.

When Holden originally quoted me the above prices last year, I did pass though. Maybe I will take it up though if Holden gives me a call and offers it to me at the above prices.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I am buying the extended factory warranty on my Colorado next month because it was an oil burner and has had the engine changed a few months ago.

don't confuse the extended factory warranty with those 3rd party type ones like "AWN", the 3rd party ones are crap and avoid them.

the factory warranty holden offers is an extension of the original factory warranty but I would suspect it might have a few changes so read it properly.

I am doing it to cover major faults like the engine.
it can be worth it because if you have something fail that is covered the cost of fixing that can quickly outweigh the cost of the extra warranty.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
My only cause for concern is a friend who owns a Hyundai had their engine kick the bucket shortly outside the 5 year warranty and Hyundai will not cover it. It is not unreasonable to expect that your car should last longer than that.

They should have pursued their consumer rights.

I'd like to know if the vehicle had been properly serviced in that time. Companies will generally assist to some degree of there is a major failure just outside the manufacturers warranty period, as long as the owner adheres to servicing requirements.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'd like to know if the vehicle had been properly serviced in that time. Companies will generally assist to some degree of there is a major failure just outside the manufacturers warranty period, as long as the owner adheres to servicing requirements.

Of course.

Unlikely to have a leg to stand on if you haven't followed manufacturers recommendations.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
You might want to refer them to Holden's recommended retail pricing (it is on the website). Unless they are offering an external warranty (and not the Holden factory warranty)?
nope not dealer warranty but factory. Here
4LbSI8b

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I'm not sure why a "time only" warranty would have a km limit.
Because you're only extending the time covered by the warranty, not the distance covered by the warranty (ie. you're adding an extra 1, 2 or 3 years on top of the standard 3yr time limit of the warranty, but the standard 100,000km distance-limit of the warranty stays).

Wonder if we'll get an offer of this extra coverage when our 5yr warranty runs out at the end of next year?

The PDS said:
Only you are entitled to make a claim or receive a benefit from this warranty. At our sole discretion, we may permit transfer to a new owner if you sell the vehicle privately. To request transfer, please complete the “Warranty transfer request form” on page 29 of this warranty document and return it to us within 30 days of the vehicle sale date
Hmm, an interesting thing you'd want to get right if you were buying a car with a Holden extended warranty!

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hmm, an interesting thing you'd want to get right if you were buying a car with a Holden extended warranty!

I would say they would normally transfer it because its on the vehicle not the owner but i am sure there will be things they will reject the transfer for like accident damage.

Holden never offered me to extend my warranty on the colorado i am having to request it through my dealer because they know the colorados have expensive problems like diff seals, alternator bearings and entire engine replacements which will cost more than the ext warranty will.

Mine has 5 years free servicing but only had 3 warranty so if i can get another 3 it will be great.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Because you're only extending the time covered by the warranty, not the distance covered by the warranty (ie. you're adding an extra 1, 2 or 3 years on top of the standard 3yr time limit of the warranty, but the standard 100,000km distance-limit of the warranty stays).

Makes sense, thanks.

sequal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV
I've got the "Time only - 24mths /100,000kms".

I got mine for free (dealer stuffed up), but it has the price $1140 on it.

Mines a low km car, so the 100,000kms don't bother me, the 2 extra years gives me plenty of peace of mind.