Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Extended Factory Warranty - Thoughts and Opinions Requested

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Harli, Oct 17, 2018.

Extend the factory warranty?

1. Yes - great idea

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No - waste of money

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Is this a typo? Free servicing or fixed-price?
    If it’s free, is this a dealer-supplied thing or is it at any Holden dealer?

2. sequal

sequal Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV
    I have 5 free Holden services.

They accidentally gave me the free services instead of a 5 year warranty which was in my contract, and by the time it was noticed, there was no changing it in their system. They were legally obliged to give me the warranty, so I got both.

3. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    no typo, it came from the dealer with 5 years free servicing so every time I take it in they do the service and hand it back with an invoice of work done with $0 balance.
    it was a holden offer so I can take it to any dealer but the one I take it to is a good one so I wouldn't take it anywhere else.

would have been nice if it had 5 years warranty too lol
    [​IMG]

4. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), '00 Magna, '17 Carnival
    I bought the extended factory warranty. From memory it was time only for 36mths. I figured i'm only doing about 5-6000km a year in it (if that), so there was no point in extending km's. I think I paid around $1600 for it, or thereabouts.

Harli likes this.
  5. Harli

Harli Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Redline
    I didn't ask them about whether they kept up with servicing (in hindsight this is an excellent point I hadn't thought of) but knowing the person it is entirely possible they didn't. Could explain the predicament they are in.

Thanks for posting that, I think that is very helpful for everyone.

VS 5.0 likes this.
  6. Harli

Harli Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Redline
    I guess if we share what has been paid for extended warranties then it would give people who haven't bought one yet and want to go down that road some negotiating power because it appears there is some variability in the prices quoted. Thanks to all that have posted what they paid.

Pablito and VS 5.0 like this.
  7. TSMAX

TSMAX Member

Members Ride:
    HSV CLUBSPORT R8
    Emailed Holden Customer care to inquire about purchasing an extended warranty and the reply is as follows -
    "Thanks for contacting Holden Customer Care regarding your enquiry about purchasing extended factory warranty for your vehicle.

Unfortunately, our extended warranty program can’t be purchased. You may want to contact Alan Mance Holden and ask them if they offer a dealer based warranty for your vehicle."

So, have they stopped offering extended factory warranties or this person has absolutely no clue?

8. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), '00 Magna, '17 Carnival
    This is by no means gospel, however i'd think that the extended factory warranty would have to be purchased/arranged when the car is new, and more than likely before it is delivered.

Otherwise, they would have no way of knowing how the car has been treated before the owner decides they want to purchase such a warranty weeks/months/years down the track.

This weeds out the people who suspect an issue is developing with their car and purchase warranty to cover it in case something decides to go bang later on. (not suggesting that this is the case here by any means)

9. chrisp

chrisp Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
    I did ask about extended warranty before I purchased. I was informed that it could be purchased anytime during the initial warranty period, though it was apparently a little cheaper if purchased early on.

When I was last at the dealership (in March), I asked about extending the warranty. I said to me to talk to ‘sales’ and do it very soon. Sales were busy and they didn’t get back to me. So, I’m now wondering if Holden is withdrawing the warranty extensions?

abuch47 likes this.
  10. tommy_z

tommy_z Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Director
    Just got off the phone to Customer Care. Initial response from the lady was: ‘no you cannot purchase additional factory warranty’ which is a reversal of a conversation I had with them last July, which was pay $1500 to opt into the 7 year warranty that came out in September 2017 (sadly my Calais V came in August with only 3 years!). I said for her to check... after a hold she said that the current policy of extending factory warranty is under review and they aren’t taking up additional factory warranty purchases at this time. However she will escalate my case with the relevant team because I have a recorded Facebook conversation detailing what I will get and the price if I paid them last July (now in hindsight I should have done that right? :oops:). I’m hoping that the recorded Facebook conversation works out in my favour considering it was something offered to me, as opposed to just asking right now though I know that won’t be helpful for many of us.

Will get back to you all when I have a response - if this is the case and they are ending factory warranty, I would be inclined to get a factory warranty ASAP if still possible for peace of mind - after all we purchased our Commodores for the long run so a small investment in additional warranty for those of us with only the 3 years will give peace of mind. :)

11. tommy_z

tommy_z Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Director
    I actually went into the stealership where I purchased my Calais V before my conversation with Holden in July last year to ask about purchasing extended factory warranty. After a load of BS with sales, they said they only offered dealer warranty. Definitely no way would I want to purchase that - I find servicing better at another dealer and it’s just plain dishonest to say only dealer warranty could be obtained.

12. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    They would be the last dealer I'd contact...

13. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    No way they can retract extended warranty before initial warranty is up if they have stated so in official documents.

14. Adza75

Adza75 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline
    My Holden "extended" warranty when I bought my 2016 VF2 is actually provided by Allianz Insurance. An extra 2 years (taking the total to 5) was somewhere around $1500 from memory (I could be out a couple of hundred).

15. Voodoo_SV6

Voodoo_SV6 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
    I bought the factory extended warranty to add 2 years and up to 175,000 on top of my original 3 year/100,000. The dealer issued me with an aftermarket certificate which i refused toi accept and demanded what I had paid for and they swapped it to the Holden Factory warranty which is underwritten by an insurance company BUT another dealer (my selling dealer no longer exists), advised me it's factory and covers all the same things and gives me roadside assit for the full 5 years.

This factory warranty used to be shown on the website and offered during the "build" process when pricing on their website. This does not appear to be there any longer when building a car now on their site.

16. TSMAX

TSMAX Member

Members Ride:
    HSV CLUBSPORT R8
    Agree with this TML, but most of the companies offer extended warranty as long as the warranty is purchased within the current warranty period. For me is it more peace of mind, my car has only done a very easy 31k in the 3 years I have owned (never taken on a track, no burnouts, full synthetic oil since 1000k check when I got it replaced first time).

tml678 likes this.
  17. TSMAX

TSMAX Member

Members Ride:
    HSV CLUBSPORT R8
    Please keep us posted, very keen to buy the extended warranty just for peace of mind if I can.

tommy_z likes this.
  18. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Yeah, first I heard of this was when a mate who'd bought a new '92 Charade (which was generally well looked-after & religiously serviced to the book at the same dealer) was offered a 3yr extension as the original 3yr warranty was nearing it's end. Like all insurance, statistically speaking it's a waste of money (or nobody could make money out of it), but I'd often rather pay a little bit extra "per week" than run a risk of paying a HEAP all at once.

The info is apparently not always known to all, about these things, though. Before getting a 1.5yo ex-rental Maxima at an auction for Dad, I checked with Nissan & they did have a 2yr extension available. Figured anything broken by rental drivers would crop-up within the next 3.5 years; and if it did break after 3.5 years, getting it for less than half of retail price made it worthwhile. But the parts guy at the dealer we were supposed to buy it through knew nothing about it. Ended up going back to customer-assistance, getting a part-number, and the next parts guy managed to order it with no probs at all.

19. chrisp

chrisp Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
    That sounds about right to me too. The cost depended upon how many years, and how many kilometres were added.

I also now recall a conversation in the service department when the car was young. I asked about the extended warranty and I was told - don’t worry, that the warranty department will be in touch with you as the expiry of the original warranty to try and sell you a warranty extension!

It does seem like Holden is trying to back out of offering extended warranties for some reason?

20. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    If I may emulate Conspiracy Hat Cat, and bonce the foil; a longer warranty is a sales-tactic for now that incurs risk-of-cost into the future. If you wanted the books to look better for sale, you’d reduce your future risk ...

But on the other hand, maybe they did some form of study/analysis & found that the price-increase caused by that extra risk results in fewer sales than reducing RRP by the same amount? Or guessed it.

chrisp likes this.