Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden: Hints of Torana

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I have not driven a VE but I've done lots of ks in a VY and it's almost exactly the same to drive as my VP, granted my VP has IRS and has no reason to be different to a VY but:p It really does feel similar, Yes they flex alot but it's not entirly true about them being no good in a crash, they had one of the highest ratings on RACV's? rating system that was based on injurys vs actual crashes vs car model I believe the VN scored at least 4 out 5 points on that rating system. I've seem some very very badly crashed VN's and I can't recall any of them that resulted in a death

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
i can clearly see the difference, and i like vn's alot, the are only second to the vz in my opinion,

but im not the one trying to claim that they look miles apart from each other, vn to vq would have to be the closest model to each other out of any commodore/ stato model.

ve to wm has had the more changes the any model before it, thats fact not an opinion

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
dude thats the worst comparison ever! that calais looks EXACTLY the same as the caprice, except for the colour. yes the VQ has a different grille, but it also has completely different front and rear bumpers, windows, rear 1/4 panels, chrome trim, lights, not to mention the interior is completely different. i can barely spot a single thing different between the calais and caprice in that photo.

as for accidents. ive seen VNs that have rolled 3 or 4 times without injuring any passengers, so im not convinced on the whole VN death trap thing

Looks are subjective but as a person who has both (well VP but near enough), I can say without a shadow of a doubt I'd prefer to be in my VE in any prang.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I have not driven a VE but I've done lots of ks in a VY and it's almost exactly the same to drive as my VP, granted my VP has IRS and has no reason to be different to a VY but:p It really does feel similar, Yes they flex alot but it's not entirly true about them being no good in a crash, they had one of the highest ratings on RACV's? rating system that was based on injurys vs actual crashes vs car model I believe the VN scored at least 4 out 5 points on that rating system. I've seem some very very badly crashed VN's and I can't recall any of them that resulted in a death

The VE chassis seems to have far more poise than the VP when pushed hard. It is very nicely balanced and steering is very good, especially at speed. I think when going around a corner you will be going much faster in the VE when it lets go than earlier models and is quite neutral. I guess that means you are more likely to go sideways into somebodies lounge room rather than backwards if you loose the rear :)

Reaper

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R
My VN handles like a boat :whistling
VT goes pretty well but i trust the HZ more.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Looks are subjective but as a person who has both (well VP but near enough), I can say without a shadow of a doubt I'd prefer to be in my VE in any prang.

Reaper

I'd rather be in your VE in a stack too :0 but I think your VP is prettier than you VE :)

CHEETR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT feature car, WRX STI WAGON
i was at Linsey Fox's restricted testing ground out past torquee a few months back , and i will confirm that there is a torana on the way!!!

we wern't allowed to take photos cos they took all our camera's off us upon entry .. we stumbled across what looked to be a torana about 8 secruity guards quickly moved us along, but not before we could take a quick look inside and stuff, was covered in camo, but was OBVIOUS it was a torana

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
i was at Linsey Fox's restricted testing ground out past torquee a few months back , and i will confirm that there is a torana on the way!!!

we wern't allowed to take photos cos they took all our camera's off us upon entry .. we stumbled across what looked to be a torana about 8 secruity guards quickly moved us along, but not before we could take a quick look inside and stuff, was covered in camo, but was OBVIOUS it was a torana

lol, my uncle is one of the managers out there, he knows of no such holden testing happening there. Toyota were the last to test cars out there.

So not sure what you seen, but it certainly wasn't a Torana lol.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
I have not driven a VE but I've done lots of ks in a VY and it's almost exactly the same to drive as my VP

There is your problem;) you are comparing chalk and cheese..
go drive a VE then post back what you think.

I have owned a VC/VL/VS/VT/VX/VZ so i like to think i know what im on about...

And my VE trumps them all in look's, performance and safety hands down....:thumbsup: