Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden: Hints of Torana

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
hold on. think about any holden been built. then look at a volvo.

ve safety? volvo would be alot better.

i hate the look of volvos, but they are good cars!

dont forget that any statesman was built around the same time as the sedan, and they were designed by the same teams!

if you cant agree to disagree, BUY A FORD!!!!!!!!:dance:

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
hold on. think about any holden been built. then look at a volvo.

ve safety? volvo would be alot better.

i hate the look of volvos, but they are good cars!

dont forget that any statesman was built around the same time as the sedan, and they were designed by the same teams!

if you cant agree to disagree, BUY A FORD!!!!!!!!:dance:

wtf ????

Im not comparing Volvos to Holdens.... They look hideous and belong to unsecure drivers and retards that think they are cool.....

I bet my car out brakes any volvo you can think of....
Most VE's have ESP/EBD/EBA/ABS 6 airbags ect...

buy a Ford !!! don't even start me on that.........

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
i just chucked a name out there.

dont forget that when certain cars were built, these things werent avaliable.

it can as safe as it can be, but you could still die.

air bags or no air bags, if the crash is bad enough, you wont get though it.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
i just chucked a name out there.

dont forget that when certain cars were built, these things werent avaliable.

it can as safe as it can be, but you could still die.

air bags or no air bags, if the crash is bad enough, you wont get though it.

yeah but you could also drop the soap in the shower, slip on it and die....

air bags and all the other safety mumbo jumbo are there to reduce the chances of injury, there will never be a car that you are 100% safe in

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
lol, my uncle is one of the managers out there, he knows of no such holden testing happening there. Toyota were the last to test cars out there.

So not sure what you seen, but it certainly wasn't a Torana lol.

Bar very final road testing all Holden stuff is done at Lang Lang. That said, except for very limited Camaro engineering, all other projects have been canceled/postponed due to the mothership having troubles paying the electricity bill.

My understanding is that HEC have commenced building a direct injection 3.0 litre Alloytec V6 that will be fitted to Commodores shortly.

Reaper

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
Stocky

For heaven's sake, take a Bex and lie down for a minute.

Jo was talking about the old HQ based one-tonners and I said thank heavens they don't make Holdens like they used to. I was referring to OLD Holdens, not bloody VQ's.

Old Holdens - drum brakes, gutless 202's, three speed manuals and autos, handling that was absolutely terrible by today's standards, very little primary safety built in, not much secondary safety. No ABS, no ESP, no airbags, need I go on?

Your argument about the way modern cars collapse in a prang? Have a good look at the VN-VP series after a serious head-on. They rate very poorly for crash protection, because their bodies were based on the old VB floorpan, widened to suit the bigger VN body. Drive a VN on a rough road, feel the body flex by placing your fingers between the window frames and the roof gutter. The VN body was soft and weak compared to many other contemporary cars - fact, not my opinion. Holden acknowledged the fact with additional strengthening in the B pillars in the VP, and further strengthening in the VR. But even then, the body is very weak compared to the VT shell, and the VE is much, much stronger again.

Old cars (ie older than VN's, older than any Commodore, were built of heavier guage steels and had simple boxed frames which had little in the way of protective body crumple built in. The perception that a strong body that doesn't bend much in a prang is good, is totally wrong. The impact is transmitted through to the passengers with much worse results than modern cars which are designed to absorb much of the impact forces.

As for performance - try any V6 against a 202, 253 or even standard 308/304. The chances are that only the 308 will have much of a chance of beating the V6.

Todays Commodores are streets ahead of pre VN's, and much safer than VN to VS series. Even the VT-VZ can't come close to the structural integrity and primary/secondary safety of the VE.

You can love your VQ to death. The simple fact is, it isn't as safe or as strong as today's Commodores. Fact, not opinion.

By the way, between the VN and the VR I have owned, I have put up over eight years in those two models, so I have a pretty fair idea what I am talking about.

No doubt you're probably right about a VE being faster and more than likeley safer, but as for looks and comfort, I reckon a HZ is still better than a VE. No really, I'm serious.
I beleive for the time, a HZ was a better quality car than a VE today.........

And Nafeen, stocky was right about the fail in your comparison of the rear ends lol. The VQ and VZ rears looked good. VE one was ugly though. Really.....

And also, the new VEs (saw a GRANGE) yesterderday, look a lot like a vectra from behind.....moreso than a commodore.....and my mate agreed too.

And a VQ/VN is still easier to tell apart than the VE examples you showed anyhow.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
No doubt you're probably right about a VE being faster and more than likeley safer, but as for looks and comfort, I reckon a HZ is still better than a VE. No really, I'm serious.

And Nafeen, stocky was right about the fail in your comparison of the rear ends lol. The VQ and VZ rears looked good. VE one was ugly though. Really.....

And also, the new VEs (saw a GRANGE) yesterderday, look a lot like a vectra from behind.....moreso than a commodore.....and my mate agreed too.

And a VQ/VN is still easier to tell apart than the VE examples you showed anyhow.

Jo

For its day, the HZ was still attractive, even though the HQ based body was getting long in the tooth, and the GTS was easily the best looking of the lot.

One thing is for sure. On the roads these days, with so many cars looking bland and so similar to each other, an HZ now stands out.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

There is no right or wrong answer to which looks better. Everybodies' opinion is equally valid on that one. But..... Quality and to a large extent comfort is measureable. In both of those measures there can be no argument that the VE shits all over any H series Holden.

Don't get me wrong - I love older cars, particularly the Toranas of the same era that were built in the same factories. I think the rose coloured glasses are getting in the way a little on this debate though.

Reaper