Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden: Hints of Torana

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The one tonners aren't exactly a truck. Especially not for their day. F100s were trucks. A one tonner is basically the same as a sedan, except with a different chassis and a tray.

Yeah, rust is the real killer.

But why are you thankful that they don't build them like that anymore.

And I too, would get more excited to see Mortons VQ cruise past, than some new VE...........its a ve......big deal. I never liked em much anyway.

EDIT: What you said about our market being to small might be true though. A concept car would be nice anyhow......

Jo

Basically, I'm thankful Holdens are no longer built the way they used to be because their brakes varied between dismal and non-existent, handling was something you did carefully with chinaware, safety was a funny shaped pin you used to hold nappies in place. They were simple, tough and incredibly durable, and I love certain early models, having owned many. But from the perspective of comfort, safety, economy, performance, the current Holdens (and I'm talking about Australian designed Holdens, not imports) absolutely eat the old models.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
But from the perspective of comfort, safety, economy, performance, the current Holdens (and I'm talking about Australian designed Holdens, not imports) absolutely eat the old models.

comfort - have you ever sat in vq caprice seats? they **** all over any new model seats i have sat in, that feel like theyre made of wood and full of airbags and ****.

safety - sure they have more airbags, but some of those newer cars just shatter into a million pieces while an older car would just get a dent in the panel.

economy - hardly. up until the last few years, holden still used the same engine technology as a vn with their v6s. adding on extra weight with not much more power isnt very economical to me.

performance - v8s yes. v6 no. vn v6 was still faster than a vz, and possibly the ve too. only performance improvements were suspension.

while the new models will still have a few advantages over the old ones, i wouldnt say they "eat" them, and some people just prefer older cars, where they dont have a computer taking over every function of the car

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
VN~VS allways need staple's to hold the roof lining up.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
your only argument against these models is holdens bad choice of glue for one interior piece?
the same thing could happen to VT onwards in years to come

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
comfort - have you ever sat in vq caprice seats? they **** all over any new model seats i have sat in, that feel like theyre made of wood and full of airbags and ****.

safety - sure they have more airbags, but some of those newer cars just shatter into a million pieces while an older car would just get a dent in the panel.

economy - hardly. up until the last few years, holden still used the same engine technology as a vn with their v6s. adding on extra weight with not much more power isnt very economical to me.

performance - v8s yes. v6 no. vn v6 was still faster than a vz, and possibly the ve too. only performance improvements were suspension.

while the new models will still have a few advantages over the old ones, i wouldnt say they "eat" them, and some people just prefer older cars, where they dont have a computer taking over every function of the car

Stocky

For heaven's sake, take a Bex and lie down for a minute.

Jo was talking about the old HQ based one-tonners and I said thank heavens they don't make Holdens like they used to. I was referring to OLD Holdens, not bloody VQ's.

Old Holdens - drum brakes, gutless 202's, three speed manuals and autos, handling that was absolutely terrible by today's standards, very little primary safety built in, not much secondary safety. No ABS, no ESP, no airbags, need I go on?

Your argument about the way modern cars collapse in a prang? Have a good look at the VN-VP series after a serious head-on. They rate very poorly for crash protection, because their bodies were based on the old VB floorpan, widened to suit the bigger VN body. Drive a VN on a rough road, feel the body flex by placing your fingers between the window frames and the roof gutter. The VN body was soft and weak compared to many other contemporary cars - fact, not my opinion. Holden acknowledged the fact with additional strengthening in the B pillars in the VP, and further strengthening in the VR. But even then, the body is very weak compared to the VT shell, and the VE is much, much stronger again.

Old cars (ie older than VN's, older than any Commodore, were built of heavier guage steels and had simple boxed frames which had little in the way of protective body crumple built in. The perception that a strong body that doesn't bend much in a prang is good, is totally wrong. The impact is transmitted through to the passengers with much worse results than modern cars which are designed to absorb much of the impact forces.

As for performance - try any V6 against a 202, 253 or even standard 308/304. The chances are that only the 308 will have much of a chance of beating the V6.

Todays Commodores are streets ahead of pre VN's, and much safer than VN to VS series. Even the VT-VZ can't come close to the structural integrity and primary/secondary safety of the VE.

You can love your VQ to death. The simple fact is, it isn't as safe or as strong as today's Commodores. Fact, not opinion.

By the way, between the VN and the VR I have owned, I have put up over eight years in those two models, so I have a pretty fair idea what I am talking about.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
Holden_VQ_Statesman_1990-1994.jpg

20080326_Stolen_commodore.jpg

wow they changed the grille

holden-calais-v-60th-anniversary-special-edition1.jpg

holden-wm-caprice-05.jpg

least these two, you can tell them apart

edit read calaber's post sums everything up

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden_VQ_Statesman_1990-1994.jpg

20080326_Stolen_commodore.jpg

wow they changed the grille

holden-calais-v-60th-anniversary-special-edition1.jpg

holden-wm-caprice-05.jpg

least these two, you can tell them apart

its actaully called crumple zones, there designed to do it so you get out and walk away, look at some photos of a vn/q in a big crash, the front end may not be too damaged(concidering it was in a big crash) but i bet you the whole car will be screwed (cabin distorted)and passengers most likely badly injured.

dude thats the worst comparison ever! that calais looks EXACTLY the same as the caprice, except for the colour. yes the VQ has a different grille, but it also has completely different front and rear bumpers, windows, rear 1/4 panels, chrome trim, lights, not to mention the interior is completely different. i can barely spot a single thing different between the calais and caprice in that photo.

as for accidents. ive seen VNs that have rolled 3 or 4 times without injuring any passengers, so im not convinced on the whole VN death trap thing

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
differnces
vn/q add more if ive missed something
rear quater panel
rear quater window
grille
rear bar

ve/m
headlights
bonnet
front guards
front bumper
rear quarters
rear quarter window
tail lights
boot lid
rear bar

need i say more???

oh and this is just body

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
differnces
vn/q add more if ive missed something
rear quater panel
rear quater window
grille
rear bar

ve/m
headlights
bonnet
front gauards
front bumper
rear quaters
tail lights
boot lid
rear bar

need i say more???

all the things you listed for the VE are the same for the VQ. so they change all those parts on a VE, yet it still looks exactly the same. if you cant see the difference between a VN and VQ, youre blind. not to mention i listed all the changes in my previous post