Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden market share in free fall.

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
I wouldnt worry too much - in 10 years time we will be 100% Chinese owned - all the good stuff will be exported to China and we will be left with all the cheap crap. Too late to start thinking about starting a manufaturing base then!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
not in total but i think GMH made poor choices in rebadging Daewoo and calling it a Holden. So many problems with Daewoos it ain't funny. At least with other car makers they chose manufacturers that make a decent product on the most part.

GM owns Daewoo and it was a Chev in other markets before it was a Holden here. Why make a whole new car when the company had 44 brands in it's history to choose from with 8 remaining today?

Companies like Nissan and Toyota had manufacturing plants in other countries building certain models. I'm not saying Holden should have imported and rebadged other makes, just moved the manufacturing of the Aussie built Holden offshore. Still a Holden, still Australian designed and engineered, just built somewhere cheaper.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
GM owns Daewoo and it was a Chev in other markets before it was a Holden here. Why make a whole new car when the company had 44 brands in it's history to choose from with 8 remaining today?

Companies like Nissan and Toyota had manufacturing plants in other countries building certain models. I'm not saying Holden should have imported and rebadged other makes, just moved the manufacturing of the Aussie built Holden offshore. Still a Holden, still Australian designed and engineered, just built somewhere cheaper.
for sure. But Daewoo are relatively new on the Australian market. A few years ago Holdens dealers dissociated with Daewoo because they were bringing the Holden name down when sales of real Holdens was quite high. For some reason they took the Daewoo back up, FIIK why......????

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Or was that Daewoo?? Holden dissociated with a POS brand back when they were building the VT VX

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Oh the irony ...

"whereas rivals from Toyota, Subaru, Mazda and Hyundai are imported under a Free Trade Agreement, Commodores attract a 5 per cent import tariff.

Ironically, Holden is quietly joining the fight with luxury brands with the view to pressuring the government to remove the import tariff – originally implemented to protect local manufacturers such as Holden"

That 5%. The difference between profit and loss showing on the books this quarter?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
for sure. But Daewoo are relatively new on the Australian market. A few years ago Holdens dealers dissociated with Daewoo because they were bringing the Holden name down when sales of real Holdens was quite high. For some reason they took the Daewoo back up, FIIK why......????

Daewoo came into Australia in the mid 90's, GM bought the company in 2001, it was after that that they were rebadged as Holden here and Chev in the US as well as other countries. They never dropped it and took it back up, just different cars into different markets. Holden were rebadging Opel's as well, in fact the Commodore was a re-engineered Opel. Holden never really made their own car until the VE. All other Holdens were based on or rebadged other cars. Blaming the demise on a rebadged "inferior" car is a bit of a cop out. So many factors led to where Holden is today.

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
Maybe your primary product being a large car in a country that is becoming more and more urbanised isn't a good idea.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah true, but now look how many big SUVs you see around, and those massive wank tank Rangers and so on carrying nothin but a surf board or tool box.
As someone said earlier I think the purchase price was a big part of it, and that stupid Aussie sheep mentality that anything imported has to be better, yeah just like those Vanamei prawns bluurk lol ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Daewoo came into Australia in the mid 90's, GM bought the company in 2001, it was after that that they were rebadged as Holden here and Chev in the US as well as other countries. They never dropped it and took it back up, just different cars into different markets. Holden were rebadging Opel's as well, in fact the Commodore was a re-engineered Opel. Holden never really made their own car until the VE. All other Holdens were based on or rebadged other cars. Blaming the demise on a rebadged "inferior" car is a bit of a cop out. So many factors led to where Holden is today.

My bad I was wrong about Daewoo. There was a car manufacturer back when the VT VX was being made that brought GMH a whole lot of bad publicity because they were riddled with problems and sales slumped so much Holden cut ties.... Was it Proton?? I remember it being big news on TV in Adelaide. I'm not saying BTW that Holden's only prob was rebadging sht bxs. I agree it was a number of factors. Holden has lost it credibility over the last 20 years for a of number of reasons and a lot is to do with the lack of long-term reliability and the poor choice of selling inferior products including Commodores has definitely hurt sales. I agree they should have closed down years ago. Since the flooding of imports over the last 25 years Australia was going to struggle to be competitive considering local sales could never support a car manufacturer, due to the small population.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah true, but now look how many big SUVs you see around, and those massive wank tank Rangers and so on carrying nothin but a surf board or tool box.
As someone said earlier I think the purchase price was a big part of it, and that stupid Aussie sheep mentality that anything imported has to be better, yeah just like those Vanamei prawns bluurk lol ;)

100s of SUV's and dual cabs here in Tas. Both of the above are really taking off. Holden small SUVs are 1 in a million. Yet the like of Mitsis and Toyota are everywhere and are considered a good reliable vehicle. Collorado on the other hand, see maybe 10 Rangers to one Collorado. Can't speak for other states but Holden sales in general have slumped in Tas for a long-time now.