Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden No Longer Australia #1 Car!!

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
M1LMO3;2076076 I get what you mean though it's cheaper on fuel but even the newer commodore's are better on fuel then the older one's but c'mon it's Australia's family car.[/QUOTE said:
My vn is more economical than a ve so where did you get those stats from?

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
I'd buy a mazda 3 over a commodore any day, The mazda is far more superior in EVERY way.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The reason the Mazda 3 is the best selling car in the market is that the total package suits more people than other packages do. Simple as that. Its a hell of a good car - the combination of price, options, performance and equipment levels all appeal to more people than a Commodore.

You all just got outvoted by the rest of Australia.

As far as being 'Jap ****', Holden could learn a lot on how to build a quality car if they studied a few jap cars.

I own 2 'Korean shitboxes' and both of my Kia's are far better cars than my Commodore, and I am not embarrassed at all to be seen in them.

The definitions surprise me on this actually.... A sports wagon is a commodore but the ute and LWB sedans are counted differently. Add them up and the Commodore wins by 8,000 units (or so). That said, the decline in the large car market in Australia is undeniable and has been happening for 15 or so years. Without a significant export deal the Australian made Commodore is on very shaky ground indeed.

One thing Holden can be proud of is that the Commodore has a 2:1 lead (55% overall) in the large car market segment. This statistic has been incrementally growing over the last 10 years, helped along by the demise of Mitsubishi in Australia and terrible product decisions by both Toyota and Ford in that segment. It is an even better achievement considering the model has been on sale visually unchanged (more or less) for 5+ years.

Overall it'll be a long time, if ever that the Commodore hits #1 again. Holden have a real chance with the Cruze now that the hatch has hit the showrooms. Hatchbacks were up around 60% of the small car segment. It's also worth noting that the Mazda 3 which is an excellent car has been in runout for several months with Mazda nearly giving them away to get them off the dealers yards.

Reaper

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I'd buy a mazda 3 over a commodore any day, The mazda is far more superior in EVERY way.

Whilst I agree the Mazda is a better built car, its not better in every way. Its not great for towing, being front wheel drive and a little less powerful (though i towed my Berlina on a car trailer 200km with my Kia Cerato with no real problems). It has less interior space, less storage space. It cant do fully sik drifts bro... It comes down to what you want to use the car for in the end.

Thats what makes a car enthusiast. Commodores are not that great a car. I only buy them because I like them :)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Whilst I agree the Mazda is a better built car, its not better in every way. Its not great for towing, being front wheel drive. It has less interior space, less storage space. It cant do fully sik drifts bro... It comes down to what you want to use the car for in the end.

Thats what makes a car enthusiast. Commodores are not that great a car. I only buy them because I like them :)

Hmmm - have you ever been in one??? Had to sell off my sister in law's one that was more or less the same as what was onsale till late last year. It was nice to drive and did everything it should but I didn't find it any better/worse than any of the VE+ Commodores. That said - I can't see a Commodore buyer cross shopping a Mazda 3 (or visa versa).

Reaper