Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden or Daewoo ?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
SlickHolden said:
Well i wouldn't go that far but i would buy a holden again. I would drive a Mazda 6 turbo:D.

i am not overly thrilled about driving a ford but my post was for the following reasons.
1- I wont drive anything korean. Aussie or SOME jap only (ignoring the expensive european stuff and ignoring where parts for current cars come from).
2- with the way jobs are going over seas these days i would rather look after my own backyard and buy proven aussie vehicles rather than buy a car from a company that in my opinion builts cheap crap and does nothing for australian workers/economy.

i have more reasons but i dont wanna start a rant

steve

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
HSVenforcer said:
i am not overly thrilled about driving a ford but my post was for the following reasons.
1- I wont drive anything korean. Aussie or SOME jap only (ignoring the expensive european stuff and ignoring where parts for current cars come from).
2- with the way jobs are going over seas these days i would rather look after my own backyard and buy proven aussie vehicles rather than buy a car from a company that in my opinion builts cheap crap and does nothing for australian workers/economy.

steve
Well just like food no-one can buy Aussie anymore it's to hard to find.

The best example is.
Heron and Panadol.
Heron Australian owned made overseas packed here. (Profits stay here).
Panadol Foreign owned Australian made. (Profits move overseas).

A

adz891

I think it's discusting.... it's that American boss Holden have now to blame for these Daewoo's with there tiny Holden badges. But, because the Barina they had was aging and they needed cars to compete competitively (at cheaper prices) Holden needed some different cars, quick. If had to be a five year old model Daewoo, so be it. People will still buy it because it has the Holden badge on it, and Holden will only use the Viva and Barina as temporary models (for around 2 years); it will ruin some peoples respect for Holden, but not everyones. If Holden want to keep their brand image high then they would be smart to drop these vehicles after the two year period; otherwise they're digging there own grave.

If GM go bankrupt sometime this year or next year (and there is a very high chance they will), it may stuff up the relationship with Daewoo and fortunately Holden may have to go back to importing Opel's :).

Dave398

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute Nickel Silver
adz891 said:
I think it's discusting.... it's that American boss Holden have now to blame for these Daewoo's with there tiny Holden badges. But, because the Barina they had was aging and they needed cars to compete competitively (at cheaper prices) Holden needed some different cars, quick. If had to be a five year old model Daewoo, so be it. People will still buy it because it has the Holden badge on it, and Holden will only use the Viva and Barina as temporary models (for around 2 years); it will ruin some peoples respect for Holden, but not everyones. If Holden want to keep their brand image high then they would be smart to drop these vehicles after the two year period; otherwise they're digging there own grave.

If GM go bankrupt sometime this year or next year (and there is a very high chance they will), it may stuff up the relationship with Daewoo and fortunately Holden may have to go back to importing Opel's :).

There will be no stuff up in the Daewoo relationship because GM own it.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
adz891 said:

they won't go back to Opels becuase they are too expensive. the problem with the daewoos is that they are sh**e. the barina got only 2 stars in crash testing i read in the paper, i wouldn't put my worst enemy in that... or would i..?

Dave398

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute Nickel Silver
jules said:
they won't go back to Opels becuase they are too expensive. the problem with the daewoos is that they are sh**e. the barina got only 2 stars in crash testing i read in the paper, i wouldn't put my worst enemy in that... or would i..?

The current daewoos are shyt because they where designed before the GM takeover. Holden have had to start using them because of the cost of the opels. The next round of Daewoos will be GM designed and will be much better cars then then the current ones. I think Holden would like to have waited a year or 2 until the better quality replacements became available but financial reasons obviously dictated they had to do somthing straight away.

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Dave398 said:
The current daewoos are shyt because they where designed before the GM takeover. Holden have had to start using them because of the cost of the opels. The next round of Daewoos will be GM designed and will be much better cars then then the current ones. I think Holden would like to have waited a year or 2 until the better quality replacements became available but financial reasons obviously dictated they had to do somthing straight away.

If this is the case - and it sounds plausible - then hopefully the next generation will be more in line with holden build quality.

To be fair - the new Barina actually looks quite good - but as I've said before - it's about 2 yrs old and a definite handme down from Daewoo

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
HSVenforcer said:

steve

At risk of a thread hyjack I have some firm views on manufacturing and Aussie employment.

Australia will always struggle in manufacturing when we are competing against the likes of Asia etc. Our cost of labour is simply too high. When manufacturing processes are 100% automatic (ie robots with minimal human interaction) manufacturing has a chance of being competitive however this doesn't help employment. One area where we excell is in design and development. Ford, Holden and Mitsushitti have years of experience developing very good cars at a fraction of the budget of our American counterparts.

Unless we want to slump into a 3rd world country IMHO the future of employment in Aus is in those areas that cannot be exported. Areas in the service industries, design and development (that we currently do well in) and resources and limited manufacturing are all the future of Australia.

Reaper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Reaper said:
At risk of a thread hyjack I have some firm views on manufacturing and Aussie employment.

Australia will always struggle in manufacturing when we are competing against the likes of Asia etc. Our cost of labour is simply too high. When manufacturing processes are 100% automatic (ie robots with minimal human interaction) manufacturing has a chance of being competitive however this doesn't help employment. One area where we excell is in design and development. Ford, Holden and Mitsushitti have years of experience developing very good cars at a fraction of the budget of our American counterparts.

Unless we want to slump into a 3rd world country IMHO the future of employment in Aus is in those areas that cannot be exported. Areas in the service industries, design and development (that we currently do well in) and resources and limited manufacturing are all the future of Australia.

Reaper

makes sense to me:dance: :dance:

Last edited:

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
GM article in Wheels

There is an article in the May Wheels magazine with comments from Bob Lutz (or is it clutzs??) GM Product Development.

Paraphrasing the article covers the following ground....

"Ï can't believe we were so stupid" - starts the article. They did not structure themselves globally to take on the likes of Toyota and Honda.

Sounds like that base platforms (eg Zeta) will have a global homebase - in this case Australia - and any variation from the main platform will be restricted and need to be justified.

Global Mid sized and compact platforms will be European based (Epsilon and Delta). Global small car will shift to South Korea - Daewoo (Gamma).

Detroit will hold onto the luxury rear wheel platforms (Sigma)

Next generation Viva and Vectra will be designed in South Korea but built on the European platforms (Epsilon and Delta).

Opels new Corsa is a joint venture with FIAT - but '"Europe is just too expensive a location to develop a next generation baby car - hence the shift to Korea"'

End

So it seems like some deep soul searching is going on at GM. Certainly a complex business given the international market loacl demands and the desire to try and standardise (for efficiency and costs purposes).