Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VE Rattle Noise??

kashy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Ute, Omega
Hey Everyone.

Any help is appreciated, I'm In a little situation.

I've got a 2010 VE Ute Omega. About 6 months ago took it to a mechanic to change Timing chain as it threw a code.

Replaced it about 2-3 Months Later, towards the front off the engine it started rattling to the point that it sounds like a diesel Motor.. initially thought it was timing chains. So went back he had a look and said chain is good. Nothing is wrong with it. Diagnosed it as lifters, To me it doesn't sound like any kind off lifters... But the moment you rev the slightest bit it goes away. It only happens on idle not when driving and when the car is cold. It doesn't happen straight away after a minute or two of starting up it starts to make the noise and eventually it goes away when it's completely warmed up.

Went to another mechanic to see what he would think, unfortunately it didn't make the noise while it was there. Explained what's happening And showed him a video He said timing. I explained that timing had been changed. He asked if the oil pump was done which I don't believe it was. He suggested doing a oil change with a thinner oil incase previous mechanic used a thick oil, Changed it using 5w30. Let it run didn't do any off the noise. However the first time driving it since the change it did it again.

Anyone know anything had issues like this in the past?

Thanks in advance

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
I don't know what your first mechanic did but I tell people to get the sump pulled, the pickup cleaned, o-ring replaced and new oil pump if they are going in to do the chains.
Do it once and do it right because when you buy it cheap you end up paying twice plus extra everytime.
Now you hear a rattle and the first mechanic hears lifter noise isn't that convenient for him.
Good luck getting it sorted but you might have to get someone else to diagnose get a report then go back to the first mechanic and claim warranty on his work and if that does not work then if it was me I would be off to small claims court.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try some lifter free up.