Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Vk........jap powered?

would it be a good idea????

• Total voters

TURBO_VK

Panel Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Turbo, and vl wagon v8
Hey i currently own a vk Commo and i thought a good idea would be a rb30 conversion with a rb26dett cylinder head straped on for shits and giggles.
Now i was just wondering if it work and how much it would roughly cost??? and what trans and diff would be recomended to withstand the occasional track day and the odd drag????

Last edited:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Well I'd say straight away not to bother with the rb26 head. Unless your really really keen on spending the dollars. Rb25 head will do.

Workage and how much it'd cost, you'd have to talk to some workshops and I guess it depends what your chasing. How much power are you aiming for??

Do you want a manual or automatic?

TURBO_VK

Panel Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
well enough to show up subaru's lol i HATE them, umm yeah how much would an rb25 head cost and how much power would it produce roughly stock with it just put on?? and a manual forshore

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
With the GTR head and VL bottom end and the right rest of it you could be looking at some huge power! 400kW easy. But make sure you do it right! You will be able to hook up the RB25DET gearbox for strength. Diff choice is up to where you want to race.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Hmm, I don't think it'd still be that easy to be subaru's on the road within a smallish budget.

Heads you can pick up for 800 dollars. Your looking at least 6 to build a decent motor.
1000 for the gearbox. Then diff choice, well, who knows.

I looked into it, still semi looking into it, just all depends on how keen or how slack I want to be. Theres too much effort required for me, to get an rb30 block, get the pistons and all associated components sent in, and getting somebody to put it all together.

Instead of building the engine like that, you could look at getting a half cut, front mount, some management, better turbo, exhaust. Boosted. That'd go fine.

TURBO_VK

Panel Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah but i want the rb25 head and turbo shyte like the twin cam

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Well is the 3 litre bottom end a necessity. The rb25 can be built up to go fairly hard. I'm just thinking along the lines of being able to get a gearbox/ engine and wiring/ brakes for alot cheaper then building the rb30/25det alone.

TURBO_VK

Panel Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
ive got the engine and wiring coz i got a vl in my gararge just need head

TURBO_VK

Panel Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
but over all wat would be better just a rb25det or a rb30 wit re25det head. what would produce more power and what would be cheaper,like i wanna know pros and cons

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
Pro and cons? Just the usual. The RB25DET will have less torque at lower revs, but that is more a concern with a heavier vehicle, not a 1300kg Commodore. It will also have a higher rev limit being an undersquare engine although you need to consider the actual engine components and whether they can handle higher revs (a good reason to use GTR parts.)

The RB25/30DET will have more torque lower in the rev range, make the turbo/s come on earlier and give you more drivability off-boost. The downside is that it will have a lower rev limit due to the longer stroke, but that may suit the internals more anyway.

If you were going a RB25/30 combo, I would recommend the GTR head so you get the best airflow possible for the loger stroke. Otherwise just stick with an RB25DET. If you just want to take on the WRXs, then a retuned RB25DET in a 1300kg Commodore will do fine. Your biggest problem will be traction against an AWD, another reason to leave just the RB25DET and keep the torque sensible.

There was once a guy who went to the trouble of converting the complete drive train from a GTR to his VL Commodore, AWD, AWS and suspension!