Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Vk........jap powered?

would it be a good idea????

• Total voters

VRFURY

Just Nic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Berlina International Sportswagon
ohh really i never new ppl felt that way....pffft
if all you guys truley liked holdens you would take them no matter what they did to one of there models,

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Theres lots that feel that way, then theres others like me that think the VL is the only decent Commodore because its got the best engine. And all the rest are trash.

VRFURY

Just Nic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Berlina International Sportswagon
yeah i like your thoughts but i juast cant see why they would discriminate against the vl's but yeah go VLs :p :p

TURBO_VK

Panel Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Turbo, and vl wagon v8
hey vn88calais, so your saying an rb30 isnt a serious engine and a 308 is ha ha ha ha i find that really funni.

Now some updates:
EXTERIOR..Group A Front bumper,Grille,rear bumper and group 3 side skirts,rust repaired, and painted,Black with red pearl,

ENGINE..Rb30 has gone in nicely with some help from a donor vl,im using the standard gearbox and diff for the moment,Now engine wise ive had the block crack tested and chemically cleaned,Flat top pistons,Port,poloshed and planed head, Crow cam,k & n pod filter,8.5 HT leads, Custom 3 inch inlet piping,

SUSPENSION..King Springs,Monroe Shocks,Lowered 4in,adjustable panhard bar

EXHAUST..3 1/2 cat back exhaust with pacemaker exctactors

INTERIOR..VK group A front and rear seats,autometer gauges, sony xplod 6*9\'s, xplod 6 inches, Rockford fosgate 15 inch subwoofer, Sonxy Xplod 1200w amp.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
TURBO_VK said:
hey vn88calais, so your saying an rb30 isnt a serious engine and a 308 is ha ha ha ha i find that really funni.

Not wanting to argue, but let's look at some facts here.

The EFI Holden V8s used from VN to VT are actually a decent motor. 165kw in stock form, versus 115kw from the Nissan 3.0. To get the Nissan engine to the same level of power & torque, you'd be looking at a fair sum I'd imagine.

The Holden V8 was in production for over 30 years. The basic internals changed very little, so most parts are common as dirt (and about as cheap). The EFI version was in production for over 10 years, and with minor modification is capable of 215kw.

Personally, what I'd do is buy a written off VX - VY SS or HSV and put the Gen3 into the VK. Now we're talkin' power. 235kw in basic form. 300kw is only an extra $1000 away. How much would it cost to get a basic Nissan 3.0 litre engine to that level? And if you wanted to go nuts later, the Gen3 has much more room for improvement. The stock bottom end is good for at least 600kw.

Food for thought.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Well I'm saying for 2000 dollars I could have a rb30 pumping out around 180rwkw at the wheels.

How much would a Gen III be just for the engine? Let alone the looms, computer, gearbox conversion, custom tailshaft, mounts - engineering etc.

I think he was trying to say that in terms of technology, the rb30e leaps ahead, even though it may not be the more powerful engine. It was more advanced for its time.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
bextor84 said:
Well I'm saying for 2000 dollars I could have a rb30 pumping out around 180rwkw at the wheels.
But you said earlier:
bextor84 said:
Your looking at least 6 to build a decent motor.
$6K sounds about right for a rebuild of the Jap engine to original spec.
bextor84 said:
How much would a Gen III be just for the engine? Let alone the looms, computer, gearbox conversion, custom tailshaft, mounts - engineering etc.
You didn't pay attention to my post. You can buy a complete VX or VY which has been shunted up the rear from the insurance auctions for $4K if its a write off. That gets you almost everything you need. For a few bucks more you can get all the adapters & conversion bits you need in a kit designed specifically for the purpose.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
TURBO_VK said:
Hey i currently own a vk Commo and i thought a good idea would be a rb30 conversion with a rb26dett cylinder head straped on for shits and giggles.
Now i was just wondering if it work and how much it would roughly cost??? and what trans and diff would be recomended to withstand the occasional track day and the odd drag????
how about turboing a 202injected no engineers cert needed

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I need to clarify.

2k will get you a n/a high compression motor, all the bolt ons required to pump out 180rwkw - Shorter life span of course, but you should still see some decent life out of it so long as its serviced and taken care of. That’s the engine for 200-300 or less, and the rest within 2k.

Then you get a stock rebuild, which ranges from around 2,100 to 2,500 dollars. That’s engine alone. Stock t03, exhaust manifold, crossover etc will be around, 600 dollars. So your total there will be say, 3,100.

Same build with Forged pistons add about another 500 on, bit more machining and a few stronger bits and pieces, more aggressive cam, your up around 4k for the engine alone. Decent inlets can be had for 600-1100 (yet stock n/a will be fine) Intercooler, 300-1500. Exhaust, 1000 max, Decent turbo, 1000-2000. That’s taking you more around.. 8-10k.

Yeah I did understand what you meant with your picking up a wrecked car, but I was curious all the same as to how much a gen III alone is worth?

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
bextor84 said:
Yeah I did understand what you meant with your picking up a wrecked car, but I was curious all the same as to how much a gen III alone is worth?
Of course, it'll be more expensive that way. Depending upon age & condition, they can fetch up to $5K for the engine alone. Then you have to buy everything else as well.

IMO, a wrecked car from the insurance auctions is the only way to go. That way you have most of the bits.

If you're planning on spending $10K, I think you'd be better off with the later model V8 engine.

1300kg VK + LS1 = A LETHAL WEAPON