Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden vk starting issue

Vkwags

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
Gday guys ive recently bought a 1985 vk wagon, was on duel fuel and recently disconnected the lpg and swapped the carby over in hopes to get it to run purely off petrol. Not sure if it’s a carby connection issue or something else but the engine won’t turn over, it try’s and just before it should kick over it shuts off

any help/tips would be appreciated cheers

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
nice score on the wagon, always liked the wagon though many dont, as to your issue I have never had lpg but common sense would say there is some electrical/fuel issue with car ?
Some vk's had a fuse for the extra fuel pump so maybe check fuses if it had one before, maybe taken out. Vk's had some different arrangements for the fuel tanks/pumps from carby V8 to efi and non efi 6s.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
nice score on the wagon, always liked the wagon though many dont, as to your issue I have never had lpg but common sense would say there is some electrical/fuel issue with car ?
Some vk's had a fuse for the extra fuel pump so maybe check fuses if it had one before, maybe taken out. Vk's had some different arrangements for the fuel tanks/pumps from carby V8 to efi and non efi 6s.

How can a fuel pump relay or fuse prevent an engine from turning over in this era of car?

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If the engine actually turns over, which I am finding it difficult to understand via your posting, was the car actually running prior to the gas being disconnected?

Who disconnected all the wiring for the gas system? Has any of the wiring from the gas system that's been disconnected, been joined into the factory loom at some stage and that loom not been reconnected properly? That's one area to look at

In this era of car, the carby has nothing to do with the engine actually turning over.....So that's one area to discount, if the engine doesn't actually turn over

Vkwags

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
If the engine actually turns over, which I am finding it difficult to understand via your posting, was the car actually running prior to the gas being disconnected?

Who disconnected all the wiring for the gas system? Has any of the wiring from the gas system that's been disconnected, been joined into the factory loom at some stage and that loom not been reconnected properly? That's one area to look at

In this era of car, the carby has nothing to do with the engine actually turning over.....So that's one area to discount, if the engine doesn't actually turn over

It was only starting on gas then once the car was warm then only could you swap it to petrol, the previous owner said he couldn’t start it on petrol alone

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
did you get rid of the fuel shut off solenoid or does it have an electric fuel pump?

Vkwags

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
did you get rid of the fuel shut off solenoid or does it have an electric fuel pump?
I’ll have to have a bit more of a look but I’m fairly certain I have a solenoid, first project car for me so I’m learning as I go haha

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
I’ll have to have a bit more of a look but I’m fairly certain I have a solenoid, first project car for me so I’m learning as I go haha
Yes it would help in your first post to add all the required info to get close answers with people having to ask you questions since they cant see what has exactly been done to car before and after.

Vkwags

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
Yes it would help in your first post to add all the required info to get close answers with people having to ask you questions since they cant see what has exactly been done to car before and after.
Yeah I’d love to add all the info I could but I’m quite inexperienced at this, first project car and I’ve got not a lot of car knowledge behind me. I’ll keep updating the thread the best I can sorry if it’s frustrating

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
@vc commodore The OP has asked for any help/tips would be appreciated cheers and yet you ask me a question.
How can a fuel pump relay or fuse prevent an engine from turning over in this era of car?
seems you answered your own question in your next post

Isn't about time you just stick to answering the OP post and what they are asking and reframe from trying to start/create arguements with other users who are just offering any help/tips that was asked originally. ;)