Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden vs airbag standard or option?

hotvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vn + vr
I have a holden vs made 1996/02 I took it for a roadworthy and got knocked back because it doesn't have airbags but the is no airbag plug behind the steering wheel for an airbag so just wanting to know if it was an option or was standard for that year

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
Not all VS commodores had an Airbag or ABS, it all depended on the model and spec.
From what i can find via google is exec's had it as an "option" not as a standard.
The inspector should be able to tell the difference whether your's had it factory fitted as standard or as an option.
If your roadworthy inspector is under the assumption that being a VS commodore it must have and Airbag and your car is an exec that didn't have it fitted as an option, goto another inspector. I personally wouldn't trust his ability to find actual faults that for your own good may need seeing to.

I've had things pointed out to me that i've missed on my own cars over the years and I'm grateful they picked up on things so i could rectify them. But times where I've been knocked back for things that were never on my car from factory... I walk away and give my money to someone else.

Whenever I get someone who shows to me they have no clue about my particular model of car... I go somewhere else....

An inspector's job is to make sure your car's roadworthy, not knock you back for not having "all the options from factory" that they assume should be there.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Airbags were an option on VS models. If an airbag was originally fitted to the vehicle and someone removed it, then its probably still got its SRS module-(crash sensor) fitted. Check under the drivers seat on the floor, and if theres no black metal box under there, then it could be that the the vehicle was never fitted with airbags, or that the module has been removed too, in which case it would have left a square hole in the carpet under there.. If the module is there, then you will have to fit an airbag equipped steering wheel to the vehicle and refit the SRS dashlight bulb, which should come on when the igntion key is turned to the ON position, and either stay on if theres a fault detected in the SRS systems, or go off after 3.5 seconds if no faults are detected in the SRS systems..
You can also check the option codes, if a VR or VS was originally fitted with drivers side airbag, then the build plate (i think its on the build plate) should show option code AJ3-" Drivers restraint inflatable". Some people have found the build sheet for their vehicle under the front passenger side carpet, and this paper shows all the build options for that vehicle, a very handy thing to have, especially in your case.
You could probably also phone holden, have the VIN handy, and they should be able to tell you what factory options were fitted to that vehicle.

Last edited:

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
the question is, what type of steering wheel do you have on the car? is it the original non-airbag one from factory or have you put an aftermarket one on? this could be why he failed you due to so many people putting the horid looking aftermarket steering wheels on and actually removing the factory airbag wheel

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The Holden Service CD says "The Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) with driver's and front passenger's airbags, production option (AK5) is standard fitment to VS Series Acclaim, Calais, Statesman and Caprice models. Production option (AJ3), driver's air bag only, is standard equipment on VS Series Berlina Models." Having said that, just had a look at my wife's 1996 VS Series 1 HSV Clubsport that has a driver's airbag, and it doesn't show option AJ3 on the build plate or anywhere else for that matter, but it does have the "SRS Airbag" notation at the middle of the "B" pillar and the ABS light in the cluster. So things are not exactly clear.