Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VY SS Engine Code

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Hey guys,

Sorry for repeating a common topic, but my Holden VY SS continues to throw up the occasional engine code which is really annoying even though nothing is catastrophically wrong.

Now it usually does this when it feels like it but normally its after a bit of a flogging on the slowdown back off eg right before a traffic light or turn etc. But it only does it occasionally eg i can sometimes do a trip of several 100km's and not experience it and then other times only a 20km journey and it'll throw up a engine code.

Now the obvious things to change are the O2 sensors and the oil pressure switch. I changed the oil pressure switch today, and it is a absolute bitch of a job and thought i had it sorted and dandy when i took it out for a test drive. Gave it a good flogging everywhere and nothing appeared, then 2 corners from home on a slight downhill coming to a stop holding its own revs being a 6 speed at the bottom up it came up. I was devastated but there's not point crying over it, obviously its something else.

Now this leads me to O2 sensors, but im reluctant to change them even though its easy as my old mans V6 commodore did have trouble with O2 sensors eg the engine code came up, he took it to Holdens and that's what it said, but the thing that's different is his would latch the error code, eg it would be there if you turned it off and back on and it would be there pretty much all the time, not like my occasional one.

Now this engine code, is it usually only related to these two common problems on the LS1 being the O2 sensors and oil pressure switch or can it also range to things such as lean condition etc and if it is does this normally latch or disappear because if i go through the dash screen to the trouble codes screen its says 00000000000 for all the numbers but my old mans said 0000100001 oir similar when he had the engine code which related to his O2 sensors. I should note my car has had a bit of work done by the previous owner but runs absolutely brilliantly especially with the lumpy cam, maffless tune and otr, pacies, exhaust etc, very drivable.

Any help would be appreciated before i go to Holdens and they charge me $100 or whatever to read a shitty computer and then another $100-200 for O2 sensors which i could buy myself and do easily. Mainly i would like to know if the engine code is meant to latch and if not can Holdens still read it?

Sorry for the long post but i always figure the more information the better and easier it is to help.

I look forward to any response and anyone who takes the time to read my annoying little issue which would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks
Matt.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
you would be better off just taking it to an auto elec and just ask them to check for any codes. there is no point just guessing and changing random parts cause you will just be wasting your money.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply i plan on doing so sometime this week, am still wondering if there should be some sort of numbers appearing on the dash if it has lodged a code instead of all 000000000000?

you would be better off just taking it to an auto elec and just ask them to check for any codes. there is no point just guessing and changing random parts cause you will just be wasting your money.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Those codes you're reading are dash codes and are unrelated to any engine codes. You'll need an obd reader to read codes, I bought my cable off ebay for $15 and it plugs into laptop. Google LS1 how to check codes,there's some good threads on here.

Mine was throwing an intermittent engine light, was a lean code and all I did was clean maf sensor and throttle body, all fixed. Since yours is mafless, check all your little vacuum hoses are not perished or split and check that air filter is seated properly and that all piping is firmly attached. It could be leaking air in somewhere.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Funny you should say that, a mate helped me check today and it didnt show any codes what so ever, although when i was changing the o2 sensor i noticed that the hose on top of the engine which looks like a breather which connect the drivers bank, passenger bank and also the throttle body has tape on it and i presume may be cracked/leaking air, could this be a possible cause since i know its not the oil pressure switch and i dont think its o2 sensors?

Will ring holden this week also to enquire about this breather hose?

Thanks and i look forward to your reply.

Those codes you're reading are dash codes and are unrelated to any engine codes. You'll need an obd reader to read codes, I bought my cable off ebay for $15 and it plugs into laptop. Google LS1 how to check codes,there's some good threads on here.

Mine was throwing an intermittent engine light, was a lean code and all I did was clean maf sensor and throttle body, all fixed. Since yours is mafless, check all your little vacuum hoses are not perished or split and check that air filter is seated properly and that all piping is firmly attached. It could be leaking air in somewhere.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Sounds like you're describing the PCV hose, bout $90 on ebay and actually similar at holden. Hmmm could be causing it if it's leaking a lot, check all your big clamps on air pipes too, they need to be tight and fully sealed. I thought an engine light meant an error was detected and therefore code logged, if it's an intermittent light it might be under historical codes, so make sure that's checked properly. Getting the codes through obd plug will lead you straight to the problem. Don't let this get too expensive by just replacingbits and pieces, it could go on forever.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
You could actually temporarily disconnect the pcv from throttle body and seal the hole 100% air tight and take it for a spin and see if the problem's gone.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bit of an update, i have the replace the hose in question and also went to a mates and he read the codes, obviously the maf sensor came up since i have a maffless tune but that wouldn't be causing the code, and more interestingly the knock sensor code which he cleared 3 times and then it didn't come back and touch wood it hasn't come back yet, lets hope it stays that way. Thanks again.

Sounds like you're describing the PCV hose, bout $90 on ebay and actually similar at holden. Hmmm could be causing it if it's leaking a lot, check all your big clamps on air pipes too, they need to be tight and fully sealed. I thought an engine light meant an error was detected and therefore code logged, if it's an intermittent light it might be under historical codes, so make sure that's checked properly. Getting the codes through obd plug will lead you straight to the problem. Don't let this get too expensive by just replacingbits and pieces, it could go on forever.

You could actually temporarily disconnect the pcv from throttle body and seal the hole 100% air tight and take it for a spin and see if the problem's gone.