Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home spray job on my vr commodore

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ok, so check it. i did my impala in matte black (acrylic) and cos' its such a horrible paint, it just turned out really bad. so i set to it with some 400 to start with, then went to 600, then 800, then 1500 on the wizzy. then buffed and it came out like this:

remember it used to be matte black. it just took time to get it right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore 1994
Yeah i would rather be sanding with the car sound system going over standing there buffing :)
So that video is just the solid paint then sanded with the grids you said I would say dosnt look bad it's looks shinny in the video. I would be happy with that finsh.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Remember too, when I talk I talk about acrylic, when ari talks, except for the last post, he is talking about 2pak. Acrylic is a softer paint so you can get away with the coarser paper I suggested. If you go 2pak and get a reasonably flat spray I wouldn't go so coarse either, it will leave more scratches than it's worth.

Andrew1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore 1994
Well update time haha not a good update but I wont to post this so I can get a little more help well I sprayed the front of my car but had a #### up got lines all through my paint the primer looked fine then when I sprayed the paint it came up really bad so I'm thinking of striping the front of the car getin it back to bair metal ad starting agian? I'll try post a pic of it tomorrow to show you's as I don't want to look at it Atm cause in pretty annoyed haha :)

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
What kind of paint did you finish up buying?

Lines in your paint? you mean like GT stripes? Widen your fan. Paint a light coat in one direction ie front to back, then the other ie left to right. Do it right and you will have full coverage. Consider that one coat.. add a couple more. Any mistakes, you should only need to rub them back to the previous coat.

Dont waste the paint and primer thats already on it. Its extra paint, never a bad thing. Just spray more paint over it till the lines are gone, then get the sandpaper out :) Rubbing it back to metal is totally unnecessary.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
ok, so check it. i did my impala in matte black (acrylic) and cos' its such a horrible paint, it just turned out really bad. so i set to it with some 400 to start with, then went to 600, then 800, then 1500 on the wizzy. then buffed and it came out like this:

remember it used to be matte black. it just took time to get it right.

I like your work mate. Awesome finish.. thats the shiniest matte I have ever seen :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore 1994
What kind of paint did you finish up buying?

Lines in your paint? you mean like GT stripes? Widen your fan. Paint a light coat in one direction ie front to back, then the other ie left to right. Do it right and you will have full coverage. Consider that one coat.. add a couple more. Any mistakes, you should only need to rub them back to the previous coat.
Dont waste the paint and primer thats already on it. Its extra paint, never a bad thing. Just spray more paint over it till the lines are gone, then get the sandpaper out :) Rubbing it back to metal is totally unnecessary.
yeah there is alot of lines thought it looks real bad so Sand it back with what grade sand paper? I swear the lines must be under the primer but it didn't look that way when the primer was on the car. First coat looked good then second coat looked really bad should I just sand it all back till nice and smooth then prime it agian cause there is not alot of paint on there as I stop cause I thought it would just get worse.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Bellicose

Reaction score
Members Ride
TOW PIG
Don't get snotty with this comment BUT...........If you're having trouble putting colour on correctly then you'll never never EVER going to fix it with your skills if you take it back to metal.

Having seen what ari666 & Dakster have been posting, i'd read their posts very carefully and follow their advice, and for gods sake DON'T rush trying to do the job.

Unfortunately i don't have the time to talk you through it, otherwise i would.

Andrew1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore 1994
I post this so I can get some help bellicose :) yeah I'll be rubing it all back till it's nice and flat agian and try agian only one way to learn everyone allwas has #### ups so I'll give it another go and hopefully come up better :)