Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Homemade air duct (with pics)

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
well i finised it sort of i 've got to seal up the were the pipe goes in
if i had to pick i probably wouldn't do it again.
it fitted fine when i trialed it now after painting it didn't wont to fit properly hence the unpainted parts were the joins are from having to extend them a bit which i will fix later

did you guys glue your joins to your pipe ?

Attachments

• 100_1890 copy.jpg
    100_1890 copy.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 613
  • 100_1896 copy.jpg
    100_1896 copy.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 784

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
does anyone know how this idea will fit into a VX SS thinking i mite try it on the weekend...

Should be able to get the stuff from work (work for reece plumbing :whistling :whistling :whistling :whistling )

will see how i go will post up pics when done

cev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4
BOGANV8 said:
does anyone know how this idea will fit into a VX SS thinking i mite try it on the weekend...

Should be able to get the stuff from work (work for reece plumbing :whistling :whistling :whistling :whistling )

will see how i go will post up pics when done

With a VX SS maybe you should try out this one:

http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/ute/vy_ute_airbox.html

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
cev said:
With a VX SS maybe you should try out this one:

http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/ute/vy_ute_airbox.html

Only works on the VY i dont have the extra shroud to cut into so i dont think it will work

May have to look and see if there is enough room had a quick look this arvo and doesnt seem to be but will have a better look this weekend wheni can put it up on ramps

cev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4
BOGANV8 said:
Only works on the VY i dont have the extra shroud to cut into so i dont think it will work

May have to look and see if there is enough room had a quick look this arvo and doesnt seem to be but will have a better look this weekend wheni can put it up on ramps

For the VX you go and buy the Monaro Cold Air Intake (MCAI). There is 3 parts to it and it will only cost you about $20-25. Yes the VY does come with it standard. This is what I and a lot of other VT/VX SS owners have done and its too easy.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
O.k now its explained to me thats better will look into it over the weekend

holden1986

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS- Commodore Ute
will the pipe idea work on my vs ute, i have had a look and it looks like the bottom of the box is to small to fit a 90mm pipe on it, is it worth doing the idea with a smaller pipe or should i just try and fit a vt air box in my ute?

gaza1970

Reaction score
Members Ride
99' VT V6 Series 2 Berlina
G'day VT, VX Commodore enthusiasts,

I just want to report, that since I first posted the idea, the Homemade air duct is still working exceptionally well on my VT since I installed the duct. It has not warped or burnt, as some suggested (geez, there's plenty of other plastic cowling closer to the radiator than my duct!) Or picked up rain, water etc. You may expect a bit of dust, but that's all.

And Yes, there has been some challenge, the plastic is thick on the airbox, and that is why I used a soldering iron to cut the hole, not using a bloody Stanley knife!

As you can see the original idea has been transformed using a great 'pool' of people willing to try something different and come up a range of different concepts and fabulous designs, achieving noticable result for thier vehicle.

Thanks for the comments Well Done Guys! Cheers, Gaz :thumbsup:

zandahar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 5L
has anyone done any comparrisons of a home made job compared to something like the SS inductions one for a VT ? I'd be thinking the homemade job would actually do better due to the fact its drawing nice cool air from under the car instead from over the radiator.

Been looking at CAI for a while and obviously if a loose change job from bunnings is going to equal or better the $400 SS inductions one then I know which way I'll be going :)