Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hooking up 2 amps

joshy123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vp Commodore series 2
I have 1 amp in my boot currently hooked up to a 12" sub its a kenwood mono block, im getting another 2 channel amp which i want to hook up my speakers 2 how would i go about doing that im guessing for the power i just run wires from battery and a ground wire but what do i do for the rca and remote control wire in back of cd player?

the kenwood amp has a input and output rca at the back can i just run a wire from the output of that amp to the 2 channel one? and just split the remote control wire?

Last edited:

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
hey mate,
for power/earth you can run a distribution block provided your wiring is thick enough. it has one hole at one side of the block, then 2-4 holes at the other side.. like a power board for your house.
considering they are monoblocks they most likely use more power.. do you know how many amps of power they need each? you'll need 4awg most likely.
then for RCA's you can get splitters which are basically one female to two male
or run more from your headunit
and for remote, just split that, as thats only used as a trigger to turn the amp on/off.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
EDIT: Damn you Sweefu posting your while I'm still typing. :flame: ;)

If your headunit has multiple RCA outputs than you need to run the front RCA output down to the amp. If your headunit only has the one RCA output then yes you can run a RCA cable from the RCA output of your mono amp to the input of your 2-channel amp.

For the remote turn-on wire yes you can just split it.

For the power depending on what sort of amps you have and what size power cable you currently have you may get away with just splitting the current power cable. We would need the cable and amp specs to further advise. Otherwise you can either replace the current power cable with a bigger size or run another cable next to the current one, though this tends to look messy.

joshy123

Reaction score
Members Ride
what is a good cheap amp to get to run the speakers wanna connect standard vp front speakers and 2 back 6x9s

calais4life

calais4life!
Reaction score
Members Ride
calais
i can help you out with it for freee if u wud like? its really easy ey

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
what is a good cheap amp to get to run the speakers wanna connect standard vp front speakers and 2 back 6x9s

Go down to JB or WOW Sight and sound or other like place and ask for a cheap amp. But what is the point, the factory speakers will blow if hooked up to an amp, and all you will get is sound coming from behind you.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride

Hunt around on ebay mate. i just picked up a really good sherwood (usually do home theatre) amp for $30. Try look around
Cheers.

joshy123

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok so i just ordered another amp so in acouple of days ill try and hook it up

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
sounds good mate. i'm in no way an expert but feel free to pm if you need some help.
Cheers.

joshy123

Reaction score
Members Ride
now about splitting the power cable the red power cord i have is 8 gauge and the 2 amps im wanting to connect is a kenwood 1000w amp and a 2 channel 2800 watt amp can i just split the power wire to both of them or will i need to run another cable