Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hotting up your VL is dangerous

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
One thing I do hate, VL ownders that don't update there brakes when they up the boost...

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3i, V6 VL in Production
I must admit to being astonished at the expense and work some here do to modify their VLs, they must get much satisfaction from it, spending $40, 000 on doing up a VL isnt unusual, even though everyone knows you will be lucky to get back half what you spent if you sell the car later

I can only appeal to young drivers who do this to take an advanced driving course, as the usual driving instruction teaches you nothing about catching a car if you have overdone it on a corner, or get into a drift, etc

Ive been driving for 46 years with only 1 minor crash, but ironically we learned more back then, before radial tyres, there was much less grip on the road and especially with a wet road, we had to learn how to cope with skids, drifts, locked up brakes, etc

Speaking from the other side of the coin, you don't do up a car for an investment, you do it because you want to and you enjoy it. It is an art form weather the critics accept it or not.
The owners put their own tastes and expression into their cars and it is a satisfying feeling to step back and enjoy the good job that you have done and have other's comment on your efforts.
As for defensive driving courses, I agree to an extent but no matter how much you teach young drivers, if the attitude doesn't change, the deaths will continue.
Kain

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3i, V6 VL in Production
One thing I do hate, VL ownders that don't update there brakes when they up the boost...
Yep I agree. I have a VL (V6) project on full burn at the moment and there has been a whole budget of ots own assigned to the brake system.

If you go harder, you gotta stop harder
Kain

genetic_freak

Technical Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR berlina 304

good point but the turbo brakes are the same as VN V8 brakes and if in good condition they are fine.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
good point but the turbo brakes are the same as VN V8 brakes and if in good condition they are fine.

The brakes are rubbish once you put some decent power behind them.

genetic_freak

Technical Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR berlina 304
not turning this into an argument, but mine are good. my car has some "decent" power but nothing too over the top. in some aspects, upgrading to vt brakes is a good move. i run std turbo brakes in mine running different pads and haven't had a problem. but yes their is always room for improvement. :D

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
not turning this into an argument, but mine are good. my car has some "decent" power but nothing too over the top. in some aspects, upgrading to vt brakes is a good move. i run std turbo brakes in mine running different pads and haven't had a problem. but yes their is always room for improvement. :D

I agree good pads and brake fluid make a huge difference to braking abilities.

I recently installed EBC red stuff pads in the front of my car, and EBC Green stuff in the rear with a top quality brake fluid and the difference was beyond what I had hoped for.

I have slotted VT brakes on the front, and slotted VL rear brakes.

CraigL304

Crossed to The Dark Side
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6 Turbo A4
Alright, my Vl v8 makes around 200rwkw, far from stock, runs stock brakes (one front calliper even leaks fluid onto the rotor) and never had a problem stopping:thumbsup: Its got sportsryder front suspension and munroe rear, lowered all round but with stock height rear shocks, and handles nicer than any car I have driven. Having said this, about 6 months ago I was cornering in the wet at 30-40kph and the diff siezed, car spun 180 and hit the gutter and armco barrier:bang: I could have counter steered and held it sideways till the momentum dissapated but the car coming down the road could have hit the passenger side pf my car (my best mate was sitting there)

??Was this not an accident??
Please be careful driving in the wet, in any car, it is dangerous no matter how experienced a driver you are, other drivers become less predictable, as do road surfaces, and any little mechanical failure is significantly exagerated.

FuzzayD

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Executive 3.8i
I learnt to drive in a vn... it slid out one dark night in the rain and i killed a cat.
there was blood all over everything! Sometimes at night i still wake up screaming.

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
lol nice digging up threads 3 years old lol