Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Household water heaters/ Heating

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
See I found the rheem glass and hardie dux to be the best lasting, I always try to upsell Customers the everhot stainless, but 9/10 only want the cheapest option, the dux aero hot was a very poor cylinder that regularly failed and the early ones didn't have a element for back up same as therman.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
My most recent quote for a Reclaim heat pump was $5,400 installed (up about $1,000 for 2 years ago!),
So the capital cost of resistive heating plus solar would be about the same as a heat pump system if the heat pump is $5400.

You’ll get a 5kw solar PV system for well under $5000 and a resistive heat element tank wouldnt cost any more than $1000 in most circumstances.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
And here we all sit, with fuel eating Commodores in the drive or garage.

See. Some of us do care about energy efficiency. Gets me right in the feels.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride

Gotta cut costs somewhere to keep our V8’s on the road.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

I suspect that we are all hypocrites at some level. I think it’s really just an issue of making informed decisions, and not necessarily making perfect decisions.

It reminds me of some people who’ll cry blue murder when someone mentions using a clothes dryer, yet they’ll happily use a washing machine to wash their clothes. Me thinks that they should go to the nearby river and beat their clothes on the rocks in the river if they want to be high and mighty! :)

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Whatever you choose electricity is always going to get dearer. If you can use the sun for most of the year then do so. Not an option for city folks but we have solar rooftop and a combustion heater with a wetback for the winter, total stand alone water/power.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
See I found the rheem glass and hardie dux to be the best lasting, I always try to upsell Customers the everhot stainless, but 9/10 only want the cheapest option, the dux aero hot was a very poor cylinder that regularly failed and the early ones didn't have a element for back up same as therman.
Agree, very few people want to spend the bit extra on the stainless steel systems. I installed a 315 Everhot S/S system in my own home so hopefully never need replacing in my lifetime, just valves, element and thermostat failures to worry about.
Dux/Hardie Dux have always been crap systems. Thermann are made by Dux so I don't recommend them either.
Rheem or Everhot are my pick. The Everhot is a Rheem by another name but at a better price point.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I suspect that we are all hypocrites at some level. I think it’s really just an issue of making informed decisions, and not necessarily making perfect decisions.

It reminds me of some people who’ll cry blue murder when someone mentions using a clothes dryer, yet they’ll happily use a washing machine to wash their clothes. Me thinks that they should go to the nearby river and beat their clothes on the rocks in the river if they want to be high and mighty! :)
Everyone has their own wants and needs and we all minimise the cost of our needs to be able to spend more on our wants.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
You need to replace the anode/s in the tank if you want more than 10 years out of the tanks. As soon as the sacrificial anode is consumed the tank will start to rust and it’s goodbye tank. You should replace the anode at least every 6-8 years.
naaah.. spend $100 more and get one with a stainless steel tank!

All (Rheem, Dux etc) do them and you should get at least 25 years out of the heater
before the gas heating bit needs attention (usually the thermocouple dies and its a cheapie to replace)

Mine has been going 15 years, nothing to fix/replace so far (but I do get a plumber mate to check it every few years.. for a slab)