Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How can I make my vz 3.6 more fuel efficient

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
More fuel in Angel Gear?

benzor said:
Using neutral down hills uses more fuel than leaving it in gear.

Truckies refer to downhill in neutral as "Angel Gear" for obvious reasons.

Not that I favour cruising around in neutral but would you care to explain why using neutral downhilluses more fuel than in gear.

Especially when you try it over a long downhill and your avge fuel readout drops quite noticeably

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
my mates dad has a cv8z and on the instant fuel consumption gauge. it reads higher rolling down a hill in neautral then in gear. its auto btw.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
naf33n said:
my mates dad has a cv8z and on the instant fuel consumption gauge. it reads higher rolling down a hill in neautral then in gear. its auto btw.

If you read your users manual you should know that you shouldnt EVER put an auto in neutral while tha car is moving, it will destroy the box as they were never designed to do that. Thats why you cant tow an auto with the drive wheels on the ground unless you disconnect the drive shaft.

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
heres another one for u matt..... driving around with the tonnau cover/hard cover off will create a parachute like drag effect unless u drop down the tailgate, and yeh i dont have a sports bar fitted to my ute either so maybe theres some drag effect created there??

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
myth busters tested that one. apparently the way a ute is designed it creats a bubble of air just behind the cab. and some how the rest of the air flows over the bubble evenly just like on a sedan.

hard to explain, but those who saw the episode will know what im talking about

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
guessin they tried that with a toyta hilux that ya often see on their episodes?
i still think u would get a bit of drag with a commodore, at 110 long the hume my cover beats round violently at times, so theres a bit of air movement there, and sayin that tailgate could put drag on ya vehicle if its not covered. but yeah never know till its tested eh!

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
Troy711 said:
myth busters tested that one. apparently the way a ute is designed it creats a bubble of air just behind the cab. and some how the rest of the air flows over the bubble evenly just like on a sedan.

hard to explain, but those who saw the episode will know what im talking about

Yes this is true, but they used a short trayed duel cab. The sience is spot on with this length of tray. But when you are talking about a single cab standard holden ute or a tray back with a 2.4m tray then having the tailgate of does decrease fuel consumption.

Its actually the length of the tray that determines weather or not to have the tail gate up or down.

Duel cab leave it up.

Longer tray take it off.

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
cold_carve said:
i still think u would get a bit of drag with a commodore, at 110 long the hume my cover beats round violently at times, so theres a bit of air movement there, and sayin that tailgate could put drag on ya vehicle if its not covered. but yeah never know till its tested eh!

Your right it has more to do with the fact that the tail gate is further away.

matt8

Reaction score
Thanks cold carve.... sounded good until.... Troy

Is that true at high speeds too Troy? Thats Bloody amazing! I would have thought cold carve had a point.

matt8

Reaction score
ooops! didn't realise there was page 2! lol