Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How can I make my vz 3.6 more fuel efficient

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
The biggest thing you can do to lower fuel consumption is to change your driving habits as was previously said. Most fuel is used in accelerating up to speed so taking it easy can save a lot of fuel. A good exhaust and airfilter are proven to reduce fuel consumption so that would be a good start.
On the downside you can be tempted to drive a little harder with those mods because they can sound good and provide a little more power which defeats the original purpose of fitting them.
Also the Crewman is a very heavy vehicle so it will use more fuel than a sedan or ute with the same motor anyway.

P.S. Just for those who may be interested

Australia is only 60% self sufficient when it comes to oil. 90% of this comes from offshore rigs.
By 2015 it is projected that it could fall as low as 20% self sufficiency due to the lack of current exploration hence Howards 150% take break offer for Companies undertaking oil exploration.
China alone has little impact on oil prices at present but given their economic growth their projected demand is expected to rise significantly over the next two decades. Likewise with India's demand.

Plenty of non media based info out there.

dolsen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega SII
Neutral down hills

old mans ute said:
Not that I favour cruising around in neutral but would you care to explain why using neutral downhilluses more fuel than in gear.

Especially when you try it over a long downhill and your avge fuel readout drops quite noticeably

I’ve used the instant fuel consumption (the hidden one which you hold the mode / set keys while starting), and going down hills with the car in gear the fuel consumption drops to 0 litres an hour. In neutral the fuel would be used to keep the engine idling, which is greater than 0, hence more fuel is used in neutral than in gear.

Your average fuel consumption will drop over a long downhill section in neutral, but I would expect it to drop more if left in gear. This assumes the downhill section is steep enough to keep everything turning over on its own, and you take your foot off the accelerator. I can’t remember if it needs a brief touch on the brakes before the fuel usage drops to zero.

Last edited:

greatone

vuss
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
slundy said:
I think it just a harsh way oy saying you dont really have much chance unless you drive like a grandma. Just ignore the rubbish posts from the intellectually challenged and focus on the posts that make sence.

But seriously, mods that allow better flow will help, but remember, more air needs more fuel. It all comes down to driving style really.

Steve.

More air means more fuel u cant be to smart the more air u get in the better u use less fuel.

matt8

Reaction score
More air means more fuel u cant be to smart the more air u get in the better u use less fuel.

English please????

greatone

vuss
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
MORE AIR MEANS USE LESS FUEL maybe u need to learn how to read english.

A

Andre's SS

All he is saying is: THe more air flow you get the better the fuel economy!

Geez ppl give the guy break.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
why give him a break. he typed something that is almost unreadable and uses no punctuation. when someone asks him what he is trying to say he tells them to learn how to read english when clearly he has a limited knowledge of it himself!

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
More air without retuning means the car will be running lean... Not an ideal situation.

More air = needs a retune = more fuel so the AFR (air fuel ratio) is optimal.