Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How Do People Modify

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
tr3nt said:
I've been thinking about this a LOT lately.. Lets face it.. Roughly 80% of us car owners (JC Forums) are honest, full time workers on a 9-5/5 day week.l for one am STRUGGLING like hell to modify the VR.

For those of you that have larger rims 17's or higher, lowered with some engine **** done.. how did you do it? Bigger Loan?

Cash.

Also, I work in the mining industry so that helps alot, but then again, the work is very intellectually challenging.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
i live at home, so that saves on house bills, i pay board each week and pay for food and such, i currently only work weekends and the odd weekday if im lucky. i dont waste money on smokes, i barely ever drink, and i use a prepaid mobile, so no big bills.

so, i just save all i can, buy bits here and there, i saved about a month ago, bought mags, then saved for another month to get tyres for the mags.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
was paied $300 to build two computers for a couple of mates, thats my mp3 head unit, and my tax cheque will cover my new brakes and if im lucky a sports exhaust. otherwise between bills and day to day costs i cant afford to mod my vs

supporter

2SHORT
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VX Berlina S2
Start trading - beginning with a Red paper clip, check it out www.oneredpaperclip.com

You can do it with will and hard work, but his way seems so much more appealing.

I'm keen to start right here on this forum, make this brilliant idea work twice - I have a silver paper clip to trade.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
My mods come from working my shitty job. I work about 10 hours a week at my servo making f*ck all, but I'm a full time Uni student..

I live with my parents and don't have to pay for anything. So everything I earn is basically disposable income.

It all goes towards my car, going out, food and saving. All of it..

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
GLD-086 said:
I'll be straight up and honest...

I haven't worked in almost 2 years. (I'm 20 and live with my parents, but I do alot around the house)

My car was brought for me and alot of the mods are paid by my parents.

I don't like discussing about how and why I have my car and the mods it's got, because I feel like a backstabbing prick to society, knowing there are hardworking souls out there, that don't have no where near as nice of a car, as what I have.
if your parents ever adopt, let me know!

Saving is the key, although at times i have borrowed money off my parents or my sister, but its always been paid back for cars. Then you just use what you have to get other things (sold one of my cars to get new rims and a new gearbox for another)

now i clear about 1000 a week after tax, so i have a little bit more to spend, although i save alot for rego and insurance etc.

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
GLD-086 - no need to be ashamed of being provided for, we all wish! (ok, maybe all) and like someone else said, at least you were honest about it. :)

ok, first car - VK Wagon - Loan - never modded, didn't have the money. Got cd player, 6 inches and 6x9's with initial loan... had for 3.5 years, drive into the ground, couldn't afford repairs... :( (Only "mod" is did was to buy pursuit rims, sand paper, and spraypaint, "found" some tyres and got them put on and balanced through a friend, total cost: 60 bucks...

second car, another loan, consolidated first one, bought VR Wagon, same deal, completely stock, no mags etc... ended up sinking $5,500+ into her within 18 months for stupid annoying repairs, never got to modify anything, finally got stereo (out of VK) installed 6 weeks before i traded her, by a mate for $70 bucks... had also acquired a twin 12" sub box, with half rooted Jaycar subs for $80, got this put in also...

Ended up trading for a decent price (hehe, the VR is STILL sitting in the car yard after being traded in August last year! poor girl, paint WAS good, now the roof is looking the worse for wear...)

So this time I got the VY, and made sure got mags first thing with initial loan payment. also got new stereo installed, subs wired properly, cali gold wiring kit, shitbox amp, same old crappy subs, but upgraded to a kenwood mp3 player and kenwood 6x9's...

then with an interest free period, only a few months ago... I got a new 1000w amp, new kicker 12" subs, CB radio and antenna and all installed...

Sooo... have the VY and mags and good stezza, but paying $280 a fortnight on it, and not including the couple thousand owing on the Card... :) and will be paying it for another 6 years at that rate...

understandable wishing I'd stuck with the VK and not gotten more loans hey... :p

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
GLD-086 said:
I'll be straight up and honest...

I haven't worked in almost 2 years. (I'm 20 and live with my parents, but I do alot around the house)

My car was brought for me and alot of the mods are paid by my parents.

I don't like discussing about how and why I have my car and the mods it's got, because I feel like a backstabbing prick to society, knowing there are hardworking souls out there, that don't have no where near as nice of a car, as what I have.

i'm in the same boat (mine might be sinking though) as you. i work part time, but my parents support me still. if i want to do anything to the car, i have to pay for it myself though, unless it is a mechanical repair that is required to keep it on the road, then sometimes mum and dad will pay for it.

the next car will be paid for with a loan, and won't need modifying because it will be good from the showroom floor ;)

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
im a full time uni student with 2 jobs. i work at a liquor store and i also deliver pizzas. i dont go out much, so i can save my money, and i budget the money i need to put towards my rego/insurance and fuel, and then work out what to do with the rest of my money