Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you take apart the headlights

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Thanks for that. I'm very worried about stuffing it up because a new set of lights will set me back the better half of a grand. How long should you say? Check every 5 mins and see if it's soft enough?

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
dukiey, you're lucky. you've already got the berlina lights. a bit of black and they'll look just like calais or HSV lights.

I'm gonna do it 2moro. If I **** it up it'll give me a reason to upgrade to calais lights.

DUK13Y

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Yea. They should look sweet when done. I'm gonna wait till I get my P's though and a bit more cash just incase.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Thanks for that. I'm very worried about stuffing it up because a new set of lights will set me back the better half of a grand. How long should you say? Check every 5 mins and see if it's soft enough?

yeah i'd agree with you - 5mins sounds like a good check interval, or i guess you could try with a blow dryer first. just make sure you start your attempt on the bottom of the lights so if you do cook them at all noone can see it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Perhaps a heat gun (not a hair dryer) could be used instead of the oven. Wth the gun, You would get more heat than a dryer and you could work your way around the light without overnheating the plastic. You might need an assistant to hold the light steady as you go, but it could be worth a try.

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
? heat gun sounds like a great option, but It is very easy to overheat one part and bubble the plastic. I would go the oven if anything, all over firm heat. 60 degrees wouldn't separate the sikaflex cos that stuff is designed to hold windscreens onto cars all day in direct sunlight. most see around 60+ as standard and never fault.

I'd go around 90 degrees, checking every 5 mins. make sure you put down alfoil undereneath the light, especially if it is your mums oven.

Or if you have a missus like mine.

DUK13Y

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
What about a hairdryer and a screwdriver to pry sections apart bit by bit or even a box cutter? That way the light itself wouldn't get too hot but the glue wouldn't be soft enough to pull apart but you could cut it instead?

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
heat gun on 200 would be ok with your method dukiey.

my heat gun only goes to 900 degrees. will fry a huntsman and cook everything around it in about 5secs.