Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How low can you go? (fuel economy)

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
I am really amazed that some people report unmodified V6's doing ~7.2 L/100 km. I can give some perpective with my V6 ecotec (highway figures):

When I got the car @ 90 000km: 9.8.0-10.3 L/100km
Replaced O2 sensors @ 160000 km: 8.9-9.2 L/100km (definite performance increase):thumbsup:
Injectors ultrasonically cleaned: 8.9-9.2 L/100km (no change in comumption, but definite performance increase)
CAI (and ECU reset): 8.9-9.2 L/100km (no change in comsumption, or performance):cry:
Running on premium: 8.9-9.2 L/100km (no change in comsumption, or performance)
Dr Bob Tune on premium: 8.1-8.3 L/100km (definite performance increase):thumbsup:
Dr Bob Tune on ULP: 8.2-8.4 L/100km (small change in consumption, definite performance decrease)

The main killer for me was not on these trips, but driving to work. It was all highway, with no traffic lights but it was a 9 km trip and the engine got warm just as I was parking the car. This would use ~13 L/100km. Cold running around the city centre in Brisbane uses ~18L/100km. Cold running is a killer! My thermostat and CTS are new and both work fine, leads and plugs are all new, and the car is well serviced - just the nature of the beast I guess.

I am not sure why the CAI didn't make any noticeable difference, as others swear by them. Anyway quite happy with where it is at now, but I must say I am a little jealous of those who get get < 7.5 L/100km with little to no modifications;)

EDIT: I think the reason why I saw no difference with the CAI was because there was an old bonnet guard on the car that was restricting the air intake. Pulled the plastic bonnet guard off - and the car feels like it is running better. Filled up at Glen Innes the other day and got 7.2 L/100km between there and Tenterfield! Car averaged 7.9 L/100km for the entire trip to Brisbane, which included a fair bit of suburban and slow driving. All in all I have improved the fuel economy by 20% - when you think about it, that means I was essentially wasting 12L of fuel per tank.

Last edited:

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Where do I get a Dr Bob Tune?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Anyway quite happy with where it is at now, but I must say I am a little jealous of those who get get < 7.5 L/100km with little to no modifications;)
My VN V6 auto used to cruise at or below 7.5L/100km with a greenfoam tune, until my mystery rear axle problem of late... now it's up above 9.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Either way is good, if you go ebay tell him you're from JC forums.

That's absurd fuel economy. Calais are often a bit worse due to the AC being on all the time when enabled in climate control. All the time, not just when cooling is needed. When you find the stuffed component you'll watch your economy drop to 10 or under if you drive sensibly.

Hey sorry if simply re-wording what you said Savage, but I think your on to something here.

CX do you use "Auto" or "Manual" on your climate control? try using it on manual and simply set it for "H" or "C" by pushing either up or down untill it reaches the limit, that way unless you engage A/C manually it wont kick in.

Savage your a legend, once again.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hey sorry if simply re-wording what you said Savage, but I think your on to something here.

CX do you use "Auto" or "Manual" on your climate control? try using it on manual and simply set it for "H" or "C" by pushing either up or down untill it reaches the limit, that way unless you engage A/C manually it wont kick in.

Savage your a legend, once again.

Just on that climate control point... easiest way is to just press AUTO and then A/C to turn the A/C off, and that way the system will still leave the fan speed and vent selection in automatic, as well as maintaining the temperature set on the control unit. Works really well in the cooler months, but in summer if the temperature gets too hot in the cabin the fan just increases, but still won't turn on the A/C.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
IIRC they work out to around $50 including postage usually, on a near stocker at least. Cammed motors and ones with intenal mods will cost a bit more but still the best value for money upgrade around for the VN-VT commodores. PM him and ask, he'll give you an exact price for your setup. Often takes a while (very busy man) so wouldn't hurt to have a memcal spare to use in the meantime while yours is off getting re-mapped.

Sam

ps cheers dannyboyDS, first time I've been called a legend on here, I aspire to continue :)