Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many KMs 'tween serpetine belt changes?

clssindxb

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden ss, chevy lumnia ss in dubai
Hi from Dubai,

Seems like this should be easy to find, but I'm struggling to find the GM-recommended distance between serpentine belt changes on the LS1 engine. (I've a 2004 Lumina SS.) Big thanks from the land of sand (and too many speed cameras).

Last edited:

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Hello and welcome to the Forums.

About every 5 years, or 200,000 k's for a belt like that although I have seen belts stay on for nearly 400,000k's

But the elements are different out where you are so maybe sooner.

Either way its not all that expensive so just have a good look at it and if it starts to show signs of cracking, head in to a workshop and have it replaced.

(also to edit your headline hit edit then advanced settings)

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Just check it regularly as said for any signs of cracking or wearing. Then change it.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
In addition to the comments above, on the LS1 there are 2 reference points ajacent to the tensioner pulley and a marker on the tensioner which shows if the belt has stretched or not, the pointer on the tensioner has to sit between the 2 lines adjacent to the tensioner or the belt needs replacing. If needed I will post a pic from the workshop manual.