Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many kms will my 2006 VE SSV get out of one tank ? Highway travelling?

2006 VE SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
With my better half in the car, i would only use 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank and with the holiday red&blue light revenue earners out in force, the same.
You can have some fun in 2nd and 3rd on the ParaPara's which is where the fuel economy goes out the window.
Thats what i thought lol. She guzzles when you put ya foot down huh! I'll just take it easy through there. My mate loves running his commy through there and said the same thing. Even though he is only running the V6 VE. Cheers for your help :cool:

P

Pauldw500

I never look at ltr/100 and, solely go on what I get to a tank. Stock L76 and towing 90% of the time. 450ks a tank most of the time...

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
If you can't get from Auckland to Wanganui without topping up no matter which route you take then either you've been really hammering it all the way or there's something wrong with the car. I've regularly driven from Hamilton to the Kapiti Coast and back in a SV6 and have never ever needed to fill up along the way. I fact I regularly get back the Levin (where fuel is cheap down that way) to fill up.

I'd avoid SH 1 like the plague. I'd be going to Ngaruawahia, then via Horotiu and Ngaruawahia Roads to SH 39 to Otorohanga, SH 3 to Te Kuiti and Eight Mile Junction, SH 4 Taumarunui to Raetihi to Wanganui. You'll enjoy the drive and there's places to stop to admire the view as well. Good cafes in Otorohanga, Te Kuiti, Taumarunui, and probably Raetihi, (haven't stopped there).

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Do not go National Park SH4 way or commonly referred to as the ParaPara's, windy as hell.
Stay on SH1 till you get to Bulls then turn right onto SH3 and head to Wangas.
Have you actually driven the Parapara's. They're not that windy. It's a really nice drive.

If you really want to avoid the Parapara's and go down SH 1 with all the drivers who insist on travelling well below the speed limit by all means do so but don't go all the way into Bulls. It's shorter to cut across from SH1 through Marton via Calico Line to High Street/Wanganui Road to Turakina then turn right to go back up to Wanganui. Another even shorter option is to take Jefferson Line about 12 km south of Hunterville on to Fern Flats Road the Wanganui road to Turakina.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you can't get from Auckland to Wanganui without topping up no matter which route you take then either you've been really hammering it all the way or there's something wrong with the car. I've regularly driven from Hamilton to the Kapiti Coast and back in a SV6 and have never ever needed to fill up along the way. I fact I regularly get back the Levin (where fuel is cheap down that way) to fill up.

I'd avoid SH 1 like the plague. I'd be going to Ngaruawahia, then via Horotiu and Ngaruawahia Roads to SH 39 to Otorohanga, SH 3 to Te Kuiti and Eight Mile Junction, SH 4 Taumarunui to Raetihi to Wanganui. You'll enjoy the drive and there's places to stop to admire the view as well. Good cafes in Otorohanga, Te Kuiti, Taumarunui, and probably Raetihi, (haven't stopped there).

That is the route I prefer to travel when heading south or slight variations of it.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I've done Mt Isa to Three Ways just outside Tennant Creek (637km), before running dry and needing the jerry can. Dead of night with Barkley Homestead closed.

rucxy

Electrified Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SSV L98
Have you actually driven the Parapara's. They're not that windy. It's a really nice drive.

If you really want to avoid the Parapara's and go down SH 1 with all the drivers who insist on travelling well below the speed limit by all means do so but don't go all the way into Bulls. It's shorter to cut across from SH1 through Marton via Calico Line to High Street/Wanganui Road to Turakina then turn right to go back up to Wanganui. Another even shorter option is to take Jefferson Line about 12 km south of Hunterville on to Fern Flats Road the Wanganui road to Turakina.
Yep, know those roads well, live in the Manawatu.
I normally go Makirikiri Rd and avoid Marton when i go to Wanganui.

Quentin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0 V
I do a lot of highway driving, 2010 6.0 Calais with a mild cam. Carnarvon to Geraldton WA is 473 kms. Last time I travelled we had a strong headwind and used 53 litres at 114kmh speed indicated. Coming back, no headwind, 46 litres. When you plantem foot to overtake, it starts guzzling. Its a 68 litre tank so you should make it easy. Just be mindful that the holden fuel gauge drops like a stone from about 1 third full - when you get the low fuel warning is about 10 litres left in the tank and start looking to fuel up. Cheers.!