Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car going in for service at Gm Authorised dealer ...Guesstimate what the final bill will be?...

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Think of it as a FUN competition...lol.. " WHO WILL BE CLOSEST TO WHAT THE FINAL AMOUNT IS" ? (Any Posted Estimate needs to include 15% GST)
Im too old and tired to be whacking it up on blocks and servicing it , plus my marriage is more important than what the final bill will be...lol

Car is the 2001 Calais International gen3 v8 170k's.... Its due for a WOF next month (will expire 30 August) and has a few issues ...main brief is get WOF renewed ....but also preventative maintenance .
My instructions for preventative maintenance to the 'stealership' (which will remain unnamed so as not create legal complexities) will be .

1...Replace driveshaft hanger bearing and inspect/replace yoke bearings (if required on the yoke) ....[.very mild vibration noted when car is cold that goes away after about 5 mins driving Im thinking the carrier bearing is starting to show its age]
2... Check rear transmission seal and replace if required [ showing signs of leakage on the chassis rail im thinking related to the carrier bearing)
3... Replace both front strut bearings...[clicks very randomly now and then but not all the time more like out of the blue sometimes weeks pass]
4... Replace rear main seal and plate ,replace oil barbell, replace cam sensor, replace oil pressure sender [its showing the classic symptoms of a failed rear main plate losing about 2-500ml a week depending on how far you go ...oil on starter /oil on left pipe /oil drips on ground when parked]
5...Check rear handbrake shoes (replace if required) adjust handbrake back to minimum setting at lever.
6...Flush and bleed braking system....
5...Issue WOF or repair anything and issue WOF...
Car runs well...trans changes good...it passed its last WOF at a hardnut testing station (VTNZ) with oil leak warning and a fix the drivers seat movement on tracking (electric seats , I fixed that problem) Tyres have good tread...powersteering not leaking, electrics all good... (all disc pads and front rotors have been replace by me in the last 6 months)
Car goes in 24 July.... have not requested quote or estimate...have told them I wanna just drop it off and pick it up with all work completed and a new WOF...... Knock yourselves out and post what you think the FINAL BILL WILL BE... I will be happy to answer any questions ....23rd JULY is the cutoff for making your estimate..... I will post mine and Im thinking 4000 dollars should cover it..... I have not received any information from the stealership as to price at the time of posting this..... Ive had car for about 5 years it failed wof once on rear tyres ...Im trying to future proof it... ideally I would have liked to wait until the trans dies but cant let it keep leaking oil as i dont want to start having oil pressure issues.... the final visit to the stealership will be to have all wheel bearings replaced. YOUR GUESTIMATE PLEASE LADIES AND GENTLEMEN ? Winner will show themselves to be a highly skilled estimator..... NZ Dollar amount required so some might need to use a currency convertor before posting dont forget to add 15% GST (NZ goods and services tax that gets added to the bill by the stealer)..GOODLUCK...Im off to work to pay for it all....lol (Im hoping my estimate is way too high...lol)
$4000.55 Cents.... ouch!

Last edited:

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I don’t need a currency converter, because I reckon most bum holes would feel the same discomfort once they had been ripped, torn, and gouged by any stealership given your instructions to fix your car.

$4,000?…..is it worth the pain you will suffer?:)

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Im too old and tired to be whacking it up on blocks and servicing it ,..................
Know the feeling.
Can't help with a constructive guesstimate, but ..... if $4,000 gives you a good reliable job without too many dealership dramas, it is still better value than buying something newish for 10 times that price, less the bugger-all trade-in offer,
Wish you luck.. :)

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i am going to agree
wait for the upsell
$4,000 -$5,000 sounds close

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
final bill....??? sell a kidney or a child! GINORMOUS!

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
make sure you get a written quote before saying "just fix everything"
or you may end up selling your house

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
1688768329869.jpeg

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I was counting through your list thinking hmmm 2400 at a reasonable mechanic who actually works for a living;) but then I remembered you were asking about a stealership so you need to double this figure and add a contribution to the Christmas party fund and the principals new Audi, so we reach a figure of around $5247.
Good luck.

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Yep im in for some pain no doubt about it .... just dont have the room to fix it...so much easier with a hoist etc... wifey hates it when I start playing around with'THE HOLDEN'....NOT 'THE HOLDEN' AGAIN...SELL IT....lol.....Id rather still be married and spend 4k than be headed off to divorce court...Im pretty sure getting the dealership to sort it will be cheaper than hiring a Lawyer for the divorce settlement.....lol