Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many of you would buy VF SERIES 2 again (SS)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I thought about this over the last few days...

If my car was written off and I had my insurance money...would I buy the same car again ?

I am actually not so sure..
I got used to extra power quickly and hardly notice it now...
It chews petrol like nuts as it's my daily..
LS3 is noisy old tech engine...

Yes it has many positives but...

I think I could settle with Mazda 6 or perhaps Subaru Liberty V6...

I am not sure...the car just did not meet my expectations... maybe it is because i wanted it for very long time and hyped it up in my head...Maybe i am just getting old and boring...

What is your honest experience...

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I'd replace mine with the same or maybe even one that's a higher spec if they're available.

Even though it's not perfect it does live up to what I've learnt to expect from Holden.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Having only owned my SS wagon for a fortnight (first V8 after a string of SV6s), yes I have noticed the fuel gauge go down quicker but that was to be expected, particularly since mine is a daily also.

My biggest concern would be that if it was written off in a year or so time, I can't see anyone finding me one in such new condition - the kids have left home & even as a daily, I only do about 15k a year - to get a LMF or any colour SS wagon will probably mean settling for something in not as good condition or at least not as new. So hopefully not a situation I'll find myself in...to be honest I'm more concerned about some grub knicking/trashing it than it being written off in an accident.

I'm definitely happy to have a piece of Holden history .... memories & nostalgia that doesn't come with a Mazda or Subaru for me.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If I weren't to get the same again, it wouldn't be due to any negatives of the car (yeah I admit there are some, no car is perfect, even a Chiron has no back seats) ... it'd be just because been-there-done-that.

But I think we'd struggle to find something else which meets our desirements; most alternatives that offer similar things have VAG badges, and I'm still a tad scared of long-term ownership of computerised manuals. Maybe if the not-particularly-attractive BMW M140i, which is now Redline-ish RRP, came in a wagon ... but it doesn't.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
You do get a lot of car for your money with the SS.

Would i buy another ? If shopping in the same price range..........yeah.

If moving up to HSV money, there's cars out there that offer more

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
If my ute was written off I probably would go on the hunt for a HSV or if I could get a ute again I would.
Just solely as its the last of its kind

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
I will get another SSVR ute if they are still available. Driven a few pick up trucks before got into Falcon ute, none as comfortable and enjoyable. Consumption isn't as bad as it seems, my previous Falcon Turbo ute uses 12+ litre/100 km. Mazda Bravo V6 uses 14+ litre/100 km. In 5 years time, I will be looking at VW/Mercedes pick ups. I am a bit surprised for people who buy the Commodore utes when they don't really use the tray at the back. If I weren't in building trades and just drive for commuting, I would probably get a Polo GTi or a Golf GTi.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
I thought about this over the last few days...

If my car was written off and I had my insurance money...would I buy the same car again ?

I am actually not so sure..
I got used to extra power quickly and hardly notice it now...
It chews petrol like nuts as it's my daily..
LS3 is noisy old tech engine...

Yes it has many positives but...

I think I could settle with Mazda 6 or perhaps Subaru Liberty V6...

I am not sure...the car just did not meet my expectations... maybe it is because i wanted it for very long time and hyped it up in my head...Maybe i am just getting old and boring...

What is your honest experience...

Although the VF(VF2 never drove a vf just bought it thinking better than VE) is good I still keep finding myself driving our 2 VE's more just more comfy and better feel the steering seems odd. We also have a 15 prado people rave about them but again average build quality and tractor motor.

Next car would be something fun and a bit smaller maybe a WRX if they werent so ugly or small BMW

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection
I would base it off if you absolutely enjoyed driving/using the particular vehicle in mind. If its a yes then id replace it with the same exact model if i wasn't happy with the experience so far then i would look to change to another different type.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
I will get another SSVR ute if they are still available. Driven a few pick up trucks before got into Falcon ute, none as comfortable and enjoyable. Consumption isn't as bad as it seems, my previous Falcon Turbo ute uses 12+ litre/100 km. Mazda Bravo V6 uses 14+ litre/100 km. In 5 years time, I will be looking at VW/Mercedes pick ups. I am a bit surprised for people who buy the Commodore utes when they don't really use the tray at the back. If I weren't in building trades and just drive for commuting, I would probably get a Polo GTi or a Golf GTi.
I love the Commodore ute for its tray and driving dynamics (it is a SV6). With just the two of us now that the kids are married off, we filled the ute with our holiday stuff and headed off to Bathurst & Canberra a couple of years ago - the hardlid which I was surprised to find is water tight is great for protecting the goods in the back. Then this morning I chopped down a mock orange and took to the tip - great versatility and for drivability is as good as (and better than most) any sedan on the market for similar money.