Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much is a VL REALLY worth?

Wallace82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Executive Series 2
Red book values for the VL and private asking prices are so far apart it is not even funny. Was looking to buy one recently and when I told the sellers what their car was worth on red book they baulked at the price. I had one guy asking 4.5k for his '86 Berlina with 270 000 on the clock, very average condition. So i showed him this: Used Car Research - Used Car Prices - Compare Cars - RedBook.com.au which has his car valued between 1-2.2k. He never wrote back.

It makes me wonder though, is redbook undervaluing or are these owners overvaluing?

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I bought mine for $4,350. Had 168,XXX on the ticker, VY SS rims, fresh blow over of original paint etc.

**** thing was that I had to get a new alternator as it was pretty much shot, fuel pump died, and a few minor things but not too bad overall condition. A few mechanics I've been to have said it's the best they've seen in a while mechanically, has the usual rust under the rear window.

I usually see them on carsales for around $2,000 - $5000+ dependinf on K's etc. And everyone knows you never pay asking price anyway.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
The rate that cars depreciate.....:bomb: ....the owner should pay you to drive it away.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
what ever the going rate of scrap metal is

M3ZZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
86 VL Turbo SL soon to be canary yellow bt1 mock
vlt's are about 3-4k if they have reg and not real flash and have bodgy setups or stock setup's. Un reg vl's anywhere from 0-1000+.
Decent vl's with rwc and reg people ask 3k which is reasonable if you know usually what it takes to rwc a vl these days.

End off the day you get what you pay for but a 270k motor and 86 berlina with reg is not worth $4500 unless it has heaps to offer. Redbook is usually on the money but the overall condition and kays and rego is what counts.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Once a car reaches around that age the Redbook value is completely irrelevant. Some VL's are ready to be scrapped, others are still mint. There aren't many decent ones left so I can see why you would put a high price on it and wait for the right buyer to come along.

To be honest I cant blame the guy for not writing back. Whenever you sell a car it's non stop jokers and time waster trying to tell you how much your car is really worth. If a car is overpriced, buy another one for cheaper. If you cant find a decent one for cheap but there are dozens for sale at 4k+, then maybe they are worth that much.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
Back in 2000 i payed a little over $4000 for my first mint vl exec grandpa car.so when i see any vl with a price tag of $1000+ i laugh

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Mint, original VLs are worth $$$. Try $6k for an SL, $13k for a turbo etc. (Unique cars value guide).

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Mint, original VLs are worth $$$. Try $6k for an SL, $13k for a turbo etc. (Unique cars value guide).

$13k for an original VL turbo?