Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How NOT to ship a vehicle part (or any part)!

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Thought i'd post this as there are probably those who fancy selling parts at some point.
Received below in mail yesterday via an eBay site.
bad_postage.jpg

Haven't left feedback yet, i'm going to see what response I get from my 'query'. Retrieving from the mailbox found part (HVAC actuator) rolling around out of the box in the plastic post bag. The bag is a standard post thin plastic bag. Note the part box completely squashed.
I've sold stuff on eBay, and always package them appropriately. It would have taken the seller 10 seconds and about 1c to wrap the box in 1 small piece of bubble wrap, would have easily fit in the bag, and would have made zero difference to the weight/cost.
I'll be telling this seller the above and make the point this is a small vehicle part, and not a garden shovel.
The part looks undamaged, but this is pure luck. The way A/Post chucks stuff around I'm surprised it wasn't in pieces.
Courier or standard post, I think this is unacceptable. Maybe some think I'm being unreasonable and a tad righteous, but good packaging is both practical and a hallmark of a good seller. 10 seconds of their time (not even that if they're organised) makes a hell of a difference. I've bought a fair bit of stuff from other sellers and outlets lately and even more robust items have been well packaged. Not going to name and shame, yet... the seller has the right to respond first (eBay guidelines or otherwise).

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
How much did you pay for postage?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Packaging of parts and other items can be very variable. I don’t stress too much about it if the part itself is fine. However, if the item itself is damaged or marred (in the case of visible parts), then I’d definitely be complaining.

No harm in noting the poor packaging in the feedback. It might prompt the seller to consider packing things more carefully.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have posted parts to people and even though some of those parts would be extremely difficult to break, I still worry if I have done enough to protect them with my packaging for them not to get broken....

So 5 minutes to ensure the risk of them getting broken is better than a slap happy chuck it into a box style packing....

Steve-2010SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE MY10 SS COMMODORE
Yeah, that packaging is not good enough, as you said, it doesn't take much to make sure the package is protected. I, myself have seen the way some packages get treated by some Aus Post / Courier Employees, so it doesn't hurt to have a bit of extra packaging for protection. At the same time, I have to say that there are plenty of Aus Post / Courier Employees who actually have a bit of respect and are very careful handling packages, but it's not worth taking the chance, Pack It Good People.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
How would bubble wrap stop something getting squashed?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Put enough pressure on something and it will get damaged.

Exhibit A - Titan.

At least bubble wrapping will help protect it when being thrown around like a frisbee.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
At the same time, I have to say that there are plenty of Aus Post / Courier Employees who actually have a bit of respect and are very careful handling packages...
Agree, when I saw that footage of Qantas baggage handlers I wasn't surprised, but then I also felt for the rest that gave a shi* about people's luggage. It's easy to paint all with the same brush, but there are certainly those that try to do the right thing. Same for police, I've met some absolute nutters in my time, but I also have mates that are entirely reasonable people - and not just because I know them.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
I find it hard to answer that question... so therefore bubble-wrap should never be used because it doesn't stop a tank from squashing it?
FFS.