Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How often should my car see a mechanic?

adam7one

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Commodore
Hi guys,

This is a question that has always bugged me, but basicaly I drive my car a 2008 60th aniversary Ve Commodore about 80 to 100km per week, obviously if I ask a mechanic they will say once every 6 months, which is understandable they have a business to run and need to make money.

So with that in mind, how often would you guys recommend that I get my car serviced, once every 6 months, one a year, once every 2 years or something else?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Yearly, or every 15,000km. Whichever comes first.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
and with that do some preventative maintenance.
the general fluids check/fill, tyre pressures etc.

that way it stays in a good if not tip top shape.
and if in doubt, and somethign seems wrong then take it to the mechs.

or as sab has said.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
How often should my car see a mechanic?

Why are you worried its cheating on you? Lol

PJDM1980

Shm1ck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Thunder Ute
Hi guys,

This is a question that has always bugged me, but basicaly I drive my car a 2008 60th aniversary Ve Commodore about 80 to 100km per week, obviously if I ask a mechanic they will say once every 6 months, which is understandable they have a business to run and need to make money.

So with that in mind, how often would you guys recommend that I get my car serviced, once every 6 months, one a year, once every 2 years or something else?

Rough guess but by now your car should of had the 60,000km/4yr service.

As sabbath said, yearly or 15,000km FROM YOUR LAST SERVICE.
Some people get confused if they don't drive over 15,000km in a year, let's say you do 12,000km in the first year from purchase and your year is up, you get your car serviced, then your next service is due at 27,000km/12 months from the service date. The 3,000km check for a new car does not count as a service in you km count, as when I got my 3,000 they changed the next service date from 12 months from that dates instead of the original purchase date.

I know it sounds confusing, but if you get a new car, just remember to service when your 12 month rego is due if you haven't gone over the 15,000km.

salute the ute

DRIVING IS A PASSION
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute Series II Perfect Blue
Just remember that if you don't have regular services it could end up with very expensive problems. In hein sight paying for services isn't such a bad thing.

HTV1900

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown SS VY
Depends how much maintenance you do yourself such as oil and filter changes. I have never taken my car ro a mechanic since new other than for dyno work.

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
when something goes wrong, when something looks like it's going to go wrong and you can't fix it, or when you need a service.

That's about it.

adam7one

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Commodore
I do the preventative maintenance, so got no problems there and in the 3 years I have owned the car, I have only put about 13,000km on it. How ever, other then when something goes wrong my cars very rarely see a mechanic, although this particular car has had one service, since I have owned it. I maybe right or maybe I am wrong or just plain lucky, but I seemed to have saved a bucket load of money, by not having my cars serviced every so often, but getting them fixed when something goes wrong and getting it serviced then.

That all being said I am seriously considering purcahsing a Clubsport or I may just go with a SV8 and I know my wife would kill me if I bought a new car and barely took it to a mechanic, hence the reason for asking the question and see what most of you guys think.

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
Rule of thumb for me is every 5k for a service. That way I know if something is starting to look like an issue, it's sorted before it becomes an issue and breaks down. Whilst that level of servicing won't prevent some issues from rasing their head without notice, the additional cost is peace of mind for me especially on long trips.