Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to drop in 5.0L V8 from VS SS into 3.8L VR Calais

ohyomojo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8 V6
Hey all,

I do apologise if this has been asked many times before as I could not find any exact answers. Am considering whether this conversion is fairly simple or not as I have another ongoing project. I currently have a 1993 VR Calais Auto, Series 2 if not mistaken, with cruise control. There is a 5.0L VS SS Auto at work that I may be able to purchase for cheap. Is it a pretty straightforward engine swap?

I am getting conflicting answers in regard to the wiring loom especially dash plugs. Would it be plug and play? Or will the body loom/plugs have to be modified accordingly? If so, what has to be changed?
Aside from obviously the engine, ECU, engine loom and gearbox, am I right to say that I will also need the suspension, ignition, brakes, prop shaft, exhaust and diff? Am I missing anything here?

I heard the air-con setup is different too and I would rather not delete that if I could.

Appreciate your help lots.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Straight forward but loom is a little different. Connects at the rear on vs and connects near battery on vr and earlier. You can make it work, but easiest to sell the vr loom and purchase a vs one. One isn’t worth more than the other so you should be be out of pocket there.

Computer is the same between the two. Tune is different though due to security differences so you’ll need to have a memcal burnt.

A/c setup is as simple as adding condenser fan and bolting hoses up. K frame needs to be changed too. Won’t need to touch the diff.

I’ve done the v6 to v8 conversion myself.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Won’t need to touch the diff.

Might be worth swapping anyway, word is that the V8 diff gears are shot peened.

ohyomojo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8 V6
Cool, cheers for that. This is the first Holden I've ever owned and I love it. I work at a wreckers and there's just everything I need there to do the conversion. The other day I found an LSD diff on a VS(?) HSV. Reckon it'll be alright in this application?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The other day I found an LSD diff on a VS(?) HSV.

Make sure it says LSD on the tag. If it just says "High Performance" it's an open diff with the V8 shot peened gears.

It could be okay, but it's more than likely worn out as it's just a cup and cone setup that's 20ish years old.