Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How To: Fix the VS V6 4 Wire O2 sensor earth problem – Known Holden Problem

gmack

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 1999 uts series III
hi mate .. how did you get this info .. i have 99 model vs v6 ute series III and the manual and some of the connection terminals are different to vs upto 97 .. my guess is the v6 from 98 VT is what is being used in the ute because no ute was released until 2000/01 .. having big problems with heavy fuel usage and bad pinning under very light throttle and then goes once you put your foot down a bit more.. manually retrievd codes and get 12 saying no recorded faults .. do the oxygen senors fail without recording a fault .. changed plugs the other day and right bank was dirtier than the left .. also with earth jumped at test plug and 1750rpm for 2 mins a code shows 40 .. but no code 40 in manual pre 97 vs .. or if not 40 its the on for 2 seconds of for 2 .. prob can live with high fuel but pinning is really doing my head in

cheers greg

Last edited:

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
yeh does it have to show codes or check engine light to have this issue? mines using about 12 combined and 10 highway and its always serviced and new walker brand o2' and its still crud. 315k tho and same injectors.

can anyone post there before and after fuel consumption comparison?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Mate that is good don`t touch anything

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
but i used to get less :( and i read i think dannyboy on here gets 6 on the highway. its manual too.

i have had a leaking radiator cap tho (unpressurised) and recently a coils been on the way out. changed today so ill see. cap is new and still leaking, highly annoying

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
yeh does it have to show codes or check engine light to have this issue? mines using about 12 combined and 10 highway and its always serviced and new walker brand o2' and its still crud. 315k tho and same injectors.

can anyone post there before and after fuel consumption comparison?

but i used to get less :( and i read i think dannyboy on here gets 6 on the highway. its manual too.

i have had a leaking radiator cap tho (unpressurised) and recently a coils been on the way out. changed today so ill see. cap is new and still leaking, highly annoying

Sounds like U have a few other issues to sort out first. I got the codes logged so I had an indication something was wrong. Sort out ur missfire first as per ur other thread then see, U may not need this fix.

As Pete said, ur figures aren't bad at all.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
hi mate .. how did you get this info .. i have 99 model vs v6 ute series III and the manual and some of the connection terminals are different to vs upto 97 .. my guess is the v6 from 98 VT is what is being used in the ute because no ute was released until 2000/01 .. having big problems with heavy fuel usage and bad pinning under very light throttle and then goes once you put your foot down a bit more.. manually retrievd codes and get 12 saying no recorded faults .. do the oxygen senors fail without recording a fault .. changed plugs the other day and right bank was dirtier than the left .. also with earth jumped at test plug and 1750rpm for 2 mins a code shows 40 .. but no code 40 in manual pre 97 vs .. or if not 40 its the on for 2 seconds of for 2 .. prob can live with high fuel but pinning is really doing my head in

cheers greg

Heu Greg, sorry I hadn't seen ur post. The O2's can fail without registering a code and last around 80k before needing to be replaced. This also depends on the brand. EBay ones have failed on me within 10k. I had bank variation between left and right code logged so I knew I had an issue. Sorry mate im not sure about the different plugs.

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers ephect, so what kind of fuel figures were u and most getting before and after this mod? btw coil is fixed now.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I was getting 15-18L/100kms before and after it was 12-14L/100km all city driving.

O2 sensors are now due as consumption is getting worse.

Was it just a coilpack? Or dfi module as well?

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
just the 3&6 pack. i changed the 1 &x pack 2 years ago 2nd hand.
i reckon its rarely the dfi.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Let us know how u go with the fuel please.