Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to fix yellowing headlights

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
hey guys great posts so far, can someone explain the cutting compound to me? where can i get my hands on some? i asked at some auto shops and they have no idea what im talking about.... they offered me the lens kits but if i can get out of it cheaper then why not ? any advise would be great ! cheers
Any auto parts store should know what cutting compound is

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
Maybe he means he went into Super Cheap Auto? That would explain why they don't know what he is talking about. Probably come pimple faced gromit with his hat back sporting an excel with a cannon big enough for fit another car in it.... Can imagine what would have been going through his small little mind. "Huh... Cutting Compound... Octain booster?"

I LIKE COMMODORES

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08.5 SV6
I think it was about $20 or something..

Turtlewax also sells a similar product for $25, at first i had no faith in the product. But i was simply amazed, it worked very well on badly yellowing VT headlights.

ShannonN

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 - VX Series II Berlina (2002)
I had bad yellowing on my VX, just used household cleaner "Gumption" took 90 seconds including wash off looks much better and cost nothing.

Reaction score
Members Ride
motorbike
I just want to add I had a go at this product ► "GlassyLite" ◄ (google it). The best part is it supplies a UV protective sealer so no more polishing headlights every few months.
From what I'm lead to believe when you polish your light you effectively remove the OME uv coating thus exposing the poly carbonate lens to the elements. UV Sealer ftw.

sixes

UTEPILOT
Reaction score
Website
www.utepilot.com
Members Ride
VY SS II M6 Ute
UV stabiliser isn't a coating, its an additive which is put into the plastic when produced. UV stabiliser does break down over time and considering the VX / VT era is around the 10ish year mark they are doing quite well. Similar to how plastic outdoor furniture turns to crap after a few years in the weather.

Reaction score
Members Ride
motorbike
UV stabiliser isn't a coating, its an additive which is put into the plastic when produced. UV stabiliser does break down over time and considering the VX / VT era is around the 10ish year mark they are doing quite well. Similar to how plastic outdoor furniture turns to crap after a few years in the weather.

You cant UV stabalise polycarbonate lenses (SAE requirements) like normal plastics. If you get a light at the right stage you can see the uv skin coming off.
3202261121_6498b102a5_b.jpg
so yeh after using the glassylite with the sealer it makes all the difference.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Here's a great product for restoring the head light lenses and without all the sanding and polishing. 6 months ago we went down the wet and dry sanding route and then the polishing and yes the lens lasted 6 months and then started to go hazy again.
Recently while at Super Cheap I see a product called ''Kitten Lens Doctor'' and wow wee what an amazing product.
Just squeeze some on an old cotton tee shirt or singlet and with very little effort polish the lenses back to a crystal clear finish.
The remainder of the product has gone in the boot for next time we wash the beast, roughly every 4 months.