Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to get more noise out of a full exhaust?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Would I have to take it to an exhaust shop for that where they'll do some welding? Or can I buy some straight pipes for that bit that bolt on?
Would need cutting and welding mate

brmadmin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventurer @ Ve Sedan hers
Drilling holes in mufflers can make it sound like it's farting. Have seen on youtube a y outlet for just past cats you can have it going through mufflers or flick switch for straight out

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Drilling holes in mufflers can make it sound like it's farting. Have seen on youtube a y outlet for just past cats you can have it going through mufflers or flick switch for straight out
Pretty sure a switchable dump pipe would also be illegal in most jurisdictions, so there’s that.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Only illegal when caught sounds like it is already defectable
The OPs current setup doesn’t sound too “out there”. He does mention knocking out cats so maybe they are up for it but I just thought it wise to point out that a cut out is going to be illegal and a lot easier to spot than a knocked out cat.

Every car is defectable in the right circumstances (generally by being a dick around the police officer pulling you over) but I would say a muffler cut out is definitely going to put you on the wrong side of that equation if it’s discovered by said police officer.

brmadmin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventurer @ Ve Sedan hers
would imagine knocked out cats could send up engine codes if you can live with those try it maybe go to a few exhaust places or mechanics and try and find some dead cats see if they will give to you and play with them and keep your good ones intact

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
If you want it loud try these J pipes or J pipes with hotdogs for a little less loud. The J pipe helps reduce drone.
ECA018B2-481D-40D6-AAAD-B40290BA2D94.jpeg
1CB6B914-C618-4125-92D2-1702BBE20A64.jpeg

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Pretty sure a switchable dump pipe would also be illegal in most jurisdictions, so there’s that.

Like the bimodals I have, which come standard on the VE/F GTS? Yeah, they can be defected too... Even though they came from the bloody factory with an active exhaust as an option.

Generally coppers will defect anything if you're driving like a ding dong.

if you are going to do a cutout i'd advise going with used Bimodals as at least they look somewhat OEM.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Generally coppers will defect anything if you're driving like a ding dong.
The police can slap a defect on anything, even a brand new car. It then becomes your responsibility to get it over the pits to prove them wrong, at your expense of course.

I generally find they leave you alone though if you aren’t a complete dick and if they do pull you up your attitude normally goes far.

I got pulled over last year on my motorbike for a licence check and RBT. It had an illegal exhaust on it (anything more than 10dB over stock is illegal here in QLD if I remember correctly) they didn’t have anything to say about it other than “nice bike”.

They did have a quick look at the exhaust and I don’t doubt that they would of been aware of its illegality as they would have heard it when they were pulling me up. Maybe they would have dealt that card if I was a dick to them but I wasn’t. Probably helps that I’ve got a clean driving record too.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
The police can slap a defect on anything, even a brand new car. It then becomes your responsibility to get it over the pits to prove them wrong, at your expense of course.

I generally find they leave you alone though if you aren’t a complete dick and if they do pull you up your attitude normally goes far.

I got pulled over last year on my motorbike for a licence check and RBT. It had an illegal exhaust on it (anything more than 10dB over stock is illegal here in QLD if I remember correctly) they didn’t have anything to say about it other than “nice bike”.

They did have a quick look at the exhaust and I don’t doubt that they would of been aware of its illegality as they would have heard it when they were pulling me up. Maybe they would have dealt that card if I was a dick to them but I wasn’t. Probably helps that I’ve got a clean driving record too.

That's generally how it goes. You make a cop's hard for them and they'll make it twice as hard for you. It's why I like to keep my cars kinda stock-ish, or at least make my mods stealthy and not drive like an arsehole half the time. Like for crying out loud if your car's so low that you're using the catseyes as toilet paper and so loud it sounds like you've taped a megaphone to your arse you deserve that yellow licky.