Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to - Heater Core Removal and Hoses Photos Thread

frustrated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Station Wagon
I need urgent help!!! I cant seem to remember at all where this one bracket goes, it is pictures in the 3rd picture down on the floor, the z shaped tube can some one help, thanks.

It goes from one of the two large bolts immediately above it in the photo, up into the dash, to the left of the steering wheel.

vbtruk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
great, what does the other end connect to? the steering wheel end?
Thanks

vbtruk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
found it thanks, just behind where the cluster goes, no wonder i could'nt see it, there was two of us pulling it apart so i didn't see al of it. anyway thanks, that was the only thing i had trouble with.

dazza33

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Wagon
Must say i did mine the weekend before last and it was a piece of p!ss. Started on the Friday avo round 3.30pm and by 10pm i had removed the dash, pulled the old heater out, replaced the core and put the heater and the top of the dash back in. By 12 midday on the Saturday she was all done. A couple of things i learn't i will pass on:

1) I got a replacement core from a Radiator place, when i went to put it in i found the replacement was about 1" bigger in width. I was able to grind out the core compartment in the heater to suit but i got a bit nervous there for a while.

2) Take it out in stages and take your time, draw diagrams etc. Believe me the extra time you use to take it out will pay off.

3) You need to make sure you have the adequate tools, one of the reasons i found it to be a relatively easy job is not that i am a genius but because i had a full compilation of the required tools.

One question i will ask is, what is that thing that sits in the middle of the dash just where the top of the dash meets the bottom of the windscreen. It looks like some sort of sensor?

Cheers, Daz.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Must say i did mine the weekend before last and it was a piece of p!ss. Started on the Friday avo round 3.30pm and by 10pm i had removed the dash, pulled the old heater out, replaced the core and put the heater and the top of the dash back in. By 12 midday on the Saturday she was all done. A couple of things i learn't i will pass on:

1) I got a replacement core from a Radiator place, when i went to put it in i found the replacement was about 1" bigger in width. I was able to grind out the core compartment in the heater to suit but i got a bit nervous there for a while.

One question i will ask is, what is that thing that sits in the middle of the dash just where the top of the dash meets the bottom of the windscreen. It looks like some sort of sensor?

Cheers, Daz.

Good 2 hear u got it sorted easy enough man feels good 2 do somthing like that yaself 2 :thumbsup:

not sure y u had 2 grind stuff out mayb u got given a different heater core thats 4 another model?? mine was the same size as the old 1 only a brass 1.

Ur right its the sensor 4 the central locking im pretty sure another sensor is there 4 climate and the auto function 4 ur headlights.

blueV8vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL V8 & supercharged VX
this is a good guide ive done this today in a WH stato super 6 was a fun job lol

mattcooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hey Guys
Im doing this BS project now thats a pain but anyways Im waiting for my heater core to arrive. Before installation do I prime it with coolant first then install?

Thanks for this guide btw

Matt

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Prime the heater core u mean? na u shouldnt have 2 as wen u go 2 fill up with coolent and uve got the heaters on full the coolent will run right through the whole system.

justformonkeys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Wagon
light bulb alert!

I was wondering... instead of pulling out the whole dash... has anyone thought of just cutting the hoses in the engine bay and putting a new heater core somewhere in the engine bay and leaving the old one in the dash??? will the heater core work being in the engine bay??
just wondering because there is a fair bit of room in the engine bay and all i would have to do is get some longer hoses and hook it up to the heater tap etc.

Has anyone done this?

cheers

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
heater would not work if you bodged up a radiator in the engine bay !!!!
I did this job last weekend to replace evap core (leaking ) none of this job is hard ,it is just time consuming and tedious BUT way better if your ac and heater work ,i would suggest to anyone that pulls the dash out ,spend the extra money and replace both the heater core AND the evap core so you never have to do it again !