Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to install a chrome shifter button in your VT/VX

lumina01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SSV UTE

i dont understand what you mean.
the bezel is only pushed into the end of the handbrake boot.
here's a pic of my bezel i just took.
358989139.jpg

not the best photo but you get the picture.
the bezel doesnt hold the handbrake boot in place it will come off with the boot.

GILLO

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Berlina
Na the bezel was attached to the leather handbrake boot, but now i realise it wasn't supposed to come off. I took it off and still can't get the boot off the handbrake. Because it is the whole leather handbrake boot and chrome, it must all be one piece. Different if you just put a chrome button onto a regular boot.

How do i take off the whole handbrake lever and boot and swap it for the leather one? I can take off the boot but how exactly do i take off the lever to swap for the other one?

Last edited:

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
I got quoted $11 from holden for the auto button and $29 for the handbrake, is there anywhere I can get it cheaper?

ryant16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT acclaim
hey guys and gals
just a quick question cause im stumped, i want to remove the console in order to remove the rear vents etc, but after taking out the screw and taking the first plastic peice surrounding the gear surround out i am unable to remove the console!? whats the problem? do i need to remove the gear stick and gear surround and that will enable it to come out? someone please help me urgently

theartofnecro

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Equip S2
I wanna change mine to a skull :p

Anyone know where I can go to get one to fit my VX?

raovq

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
I'm having some difficulty with the first step. the screws were removed easy enough, but the trim won't budge. are there any hidden catches or something that would stop the cover being lifted off? I don't have traction control or electric windows, so it seems like a straightforward job...

dunky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina V6
My gearshift button has to be replaced on my VX Lumina. I've followed Julies directions and removed the two screws around the cigarette lighter but the surround just won't lift up. Is there something else holding it or do I need to squeeze it together or do I just lever it off with brute force?

dunky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina V6
OK. To answer my own question and to assist anyone else having a go at this job. There is a press-in clip on both sides of the cover right near the power window switches. Get a butter knife or similar strong thin blade and insert it near the swiches and lever up gently but firmly. It's pretty stiff if they've never been moved before. Once they have been released, insert the blade all the way along each side, gently lifting; it will pop up and can then be removed after unplugging the power window plug.

Secondly, remove the 4 screws visible as per Julies instructions for removing the centre consol but there are 2 more at the base of the consol which are hidden by the piece coming down from the dash. So after you have removed the visible screws and the two nuts in the CD compartment, pull this piece down and you will see them. Remove them (one each side) and then the consol will come out. Cheers Bob

Buzzbug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II S, 1974 VW Beetle
Great advice, thankyou very much.
I just installed a leather gear shifter plus a leather handbrake cover and center console lid in my ute.
Cheers.
Lee.