Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How to install high ratio roller rockers from MACE

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
Do you reckon this would be much different to installing on a VX/VY V6?

Yeah definitely dude. Cant say ive felt the before and after on an n/a engine, but they made a big difference on mine.

I think they quote around 15kw gain with no mods. But im sure with a good flowing exhaust and CAI/ larger throttle you'd see alot more, definitely feel it.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Yeah definitely dude. Cant say ive felt the before and after on an n/a engine, but they made a big difference on mine.

I think they quote around 15kw gain with no mods. But im sure with a good flowing exhaust and CAI/ larger throttle you'd see alot more, definitely feel it.

I meant the process, IE, could I still use this guide on my VX. And my car has a VY engine in it (Cracked the head gasket last year), I'm assuming this means I need the Optional pushrods MACE claim are required for VY?

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
I meant the process, IE, could I still use this guide on my VX. And my car has a VY engine in it (Cracked the head gasket last year), I'm assuming this means I need the Optional pushrods MACE claim are required for VY?

Yeah it should be the same process. You will need the longer push rods, they should come with the kit though. Mine did. The new ones are way better anyway as theyre hardened and bigger diameter.

When you torque them, do them on closed valves to get correct readings.

To do intake, turn engine over by hand til the exhaust valve just cracks open (rocker pushes spring down)
To do exhaust, turn engine over by hand and watch the intake, it will open then start to close. When its just shy of closing, torque the exhaust rocker down.

You can either follow the firing order or what I do is just work from back to front on both banks so you dont forget any

regals

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 3.8l
My springs arent compressing???? Need help

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks for the write up commocarl. Not sure if you're around anymore. I hope to get mine in this weekend all going well, time wise. I noticed the pics no longer are available so hoping the description is enough.

Cuzzy69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs wagon exe v6 l67 vx
Finally bought some MACE 1.9 high ratio roller rockers the other day. They are very easy to install and make a HUGE difference, especially on turbo applications.
Got them for about $600 and they state on a stock motor you will see gains from 13-16kw, id say on turbo apps you'll see more like 20-22kw

Here's a step by step guide.

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED:
-Socket Set
-Torque Wrench (absolute must)
-6mm Allen bit to fit torque wrench (must)
-6mm Allen key

1: Remove the 6 bolts from your rocker cover and take it away.

2: You will now see the stock rockers, one for exhaust and one for intake. Go through and undo the the bolts through the rocker. Try use a hex bit with only 6 faces as they grip better and also you will prob need to crack the loctite from factory.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
3: Remove the rockers and the bolts and put them down somewhere clean.

4: You should now see this:

5: You can now remove the locating plate and put it somewhere safe.

6: Next is the removal of the pushrods. These just slide out. Pretty simple.

7: Now you can start to install your new MACE ones, I like to lube them up a bit with oil, but don't think it's necessary. MACE supply longer pushrods, new rockers, new seats, locating plates and bolts. So nothing you've removed will be re-used.

One thing to make sure you have right is your new pushrod alignment. You need to make sure that it is right in the middle or it can get stuck in the valley and get wrapped around the balance shaft. But dont worry its pretty hard to do, just check them with a torch. Here is a pic down the hole for the rod.

8: Now it's time to start installing new plate, seats and rockers. This is how they go:

9: Now you need to get the pre-lube supplied and apply it to any friction surfaces to stop any ware in first few secs on engine starting. This is where I put it:

10: Now you can go through and install all of them. Just make sure that the seat is located correctly in the locating plate and also line the rocker up central to the spring. Once they are all finger tight, go through, whilst holding rocker in right position on spring and tighten them down, compressing the spring.

11: Now they're all pretty tight, come through with your torque wrench and torque to 23ft/lbs (always check with manufacturer if not told in package) also making sure the alignment is still good.

You should now see this:

You can now reinstall your rocker covers and you're good to go.

For the first second or two you will hear ticking as there is no oil up there, if it keeps going for longer than that turn the car off and double check everything. But you should be fine.
does it matter where the crank is? eg valves open closed for the torque setting? thanks Justin. love your channel

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
does it matter where the crank is? eg valves open closed for the torque setting? thanks Justin. love your channel
You need to be on TDC on each valve.