Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to paint your brakes

sycvs

commo for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
so can you paint your discs / rotors all over or is some spots you cant paint like where the pads touch

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
so can you paint your discs / rotors all over or is some spots you cant paint like where the pads touch

It doesn't really matter if you paint the rotors on the contact area because it will just come off the 1st time you use the brakes anyway. I masked mine up anyway.

Burto89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ S-Pack Ute
Can you guys tell me what are the rotors? sorry no idea noob! the brown parts i assume?

wackywheelz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega V6
The rotors are the shiny silver (bare metal) "disk" parts you see when you look through the spokes of the mag.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
It doesn't really matter if you paint the rotors on the contact area because it will just come off the 1st time you use the brakes anyway. I masked mine up anyway.

I agree with this, if you paint the whole lot, the paint doesn't affect braking at all except the first drive where the paint smells as it comes off the contact points. That way you get the rust ring around the hub and the outside vents of the disk as well. However thats a good masking job, can never be too careful.

s65481

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS UTE
before painting the calipers and hubs...would it be ideal to sand back all the rust??

and where are the bolts/screws located to remove the pads??
(pics would be great)

cheers in advance

Auzziephoenix

Typical P Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jungle Fever R8
i did this to my vn a few weeks ago :) i am ecstatic with the result..

my dad and i just used a wire brush to clean up the caliper.. i also painted the hubs as i needed to get new rotors for the front.. mine are soooo shiny :p

Image029-2.jpg

Image030-1.jpg

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Wow pheonix, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I want mine to look like when i'm done. Still undecided on whether to go red or black on the mounting/outer part of the caliper.

Just on a side note, can anyone else shed some light on what that guy mentioned earlieir in this thread about putting your rotors back on differently, causing a vibration? Could this cause a vibration prominent above 80 km/hr?

Auzziephoenix

Typical P Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jungle Fever R8
Its really easy, used a wire brush to clean all the dirt off the caliper.. and used a bit of petrol on a rag to clean all the dust off.. then sprayed them while off the car, the mounting bracket was done off the car though.. and if you look close enough in the first pic i seemed to have missed a bit.. but im not gonna see that through my wheels so im not fussed.. its a pity i have to wait a lil longer :( im still using the stock 14" rims lol