Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to paint your brakes

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I have standard brakes & just went with black hubs & silver calipers that way you cant see icky rusty brakes, but it doesnt draw your eye to the stock brakes either.

Makes a shitload of difference, I see open rims & rusty brakes all the time & it really brings down the whole car.

AndyVKSSA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR caprice 5ltr, VK group 3 rep 5ltr
^^^sota like my VK atm lol

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
u couldnt leave the hand break on could u

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I don't think I used the handbrake. I don't really see how you could. Just make sure the car is on a level surface and use some chocks to stop it from moving anywhere. Do it one wheel at a time and no dramas.

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
just do it properly the first time and you wont regret it...

When i put twin piston fronts on the vs i painted them up before putting them on, i used bright red engine enamel and matt black enamel. Even threw them in the oven at 100 degrees C for an hour to cure the paint (part of the curing directions for engine enamels). Did the same red/black for the rears. The fronts didnt look quite finished so got a hold of some PBR decals and slapped them on. Non contact areas of the rotors done in matt black. It all still looks 100% to this day.

Image263.jpg

Image259.jpg

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Went into supercheap the other day. The man advised me that painting your brakes (using caliper paint available at these types of retail stores) will actually void/not pass a roadworthy as the painted caliper 'traps' more heat in.
So i am assuming this could possibly lead to premature brake fade or other problems on standard soft brakes.
What does everyone think of this? It has put me in two minds as to whether or not this mod is practically worth it.

tanner892

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV M6
How does putting paint on metal trap heat compared to not having paint on metal?