Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to push the highest numbers on an NA 3.8L Ecotec

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Same shite as decades ago blokes wanting highest output n/a buick....stroker,big cam & high compression + head work & custom intake manifold.

They'll say the don't regret but won't mention how much it cost,if it blew up,drag times etc = or how long it took for them hop onto Ls bandwagon lol

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Same shite as decades ago blokes wanting highest output n/a buick....stroker,big cam & high compression + head work & custom intake manifold.

They'll say the don't regret but won't mention how much it cost,if it blew up,drag times etc = or how long it took for them hop onto Ls bandwagon lol
I agree, it's just not worth it for the money you're putting into the engine...

Jas.G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 4.3litre
Mine went 295rwhp(219rwkw) through a auto(trimatic) an ran a 12.3 to back the numbers up NA buick... was a 4.2ltr stroker 80'thou bore, 10.8-1 comp BP 98 fuel, solid roller camshaft, ported heads an manifold, EMS computer, an alot of other small work

Jas.G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 4.3litre
if i ushed the comp up an camshaft with a good fuel, had alot more potential

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine went 295rwhp(219rwkw) through a auto(trimatic) an ran a 12.3 to back the numbers up NA buick... was a 4.2ltr stroker 80'thou bore, 10.8-1 comp BP 98 fuel, solid roller camshaft, ported heads an manifold, EMS computer, an alot of other small work
Wow, that's well over double what they were standard.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
How often are you at maximin rpm? Basically if you ever do get there, its either time to change gear or its time to brake.
Edit. this is more about city driving.
Exactly. I dunno why every man and his dog gets onto this max horsepower mindset. It’s really only useful and useable on a track car. If it’s got number plates on it then chasing absolute horsepower is a fools errand.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Exactly. I dunno why every man and his dog gets onto this max horsepower mindset. It’s really only useful and useable on a track car. If it’s got number plates on it then chasing absolute horsepower is a fools errand.
Even at the track going down the straight, you dont start of pulling hard till you get to the end of the straight. So forthe first 3/4 of the straight you where slow.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The difference with the track though is you can keep it in the power band from pretty much once you get rolling.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Even at the track going down the straight, you dont start of pulling hard till you get to the end of the straight. So forthe first 3/4 of the straight you where slow.
That's really transmission and gearing and why race cars run close ratio transmissions to keep the engine in the optimum power band.

Jas.G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 4.3litre
Not hard to make this power if you know what your doing or the shop....
Mine was still driven alot, in daily duties in the middle of peak hour traffic. but when it go's back together will only do weekend work with track stuff