Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to remove steering surround?

adept

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive & 99 VT XU8
i just brought myself a VT been driving it round.

today i noticed the indicator was making the 'indicator flashing' noise but no indicators were active.
i replaced the flasher can, but that did nothing.

i also noticed small amounts of smoke comming from behind the steering wheel, so i reckon it'd be the indicator stalk causing my woes and i need to get the surround off the column so i can get in to change it out.

1 question... how do i remove the steering column surround on a VT without removing the wheel?
only other commodores ive worked on have been VN-VP-VR's which were easily removed by taking out screws, the VT's however look like they have some weird mount holding everything in place.

adept

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive & 99 VT XU8
ok, i just figured it out care of this great diagram.

1 screw - hidden behind the fusebox if its closed, then pry the surround apart.

kudos to the original replier for providing it on this thread.

strcl.jpg

looks like it is in the indicator stalk, cuz if i hit the hazard lights with the stalk in, the flasher can go's nuts, without it, the hazards work fine.
(im hoping its the indicator stalk at least - will update when i get a new one)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Lower the steering column. Remove the upper cover by pushing the lower cover slightly down in the direction of the steering shaft and then lift the upper cover and move towards the steering wheel.
Remove the lower cover by removing the retaining screw and then push it towards the upper end of the steering column to release the cover from the 2 retaining hooks on the steering column.
It sounds difficult but there is no other way to explain it.
Edit: Looks like I'm a bit too late. Slow typer.