Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO replace headlining - Very detailed

Shaz77

I D TEN T Error (ID10T)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Restoring VN Wagon
Doing my roof lining later on this afternoon, in Dark Charcoal Suede and doing door cards in the suede while i'm at it, but one question. Once I've done the roof lining and door cards can the suede be sprayed with some kind of scotch guard to protect it? I'm almost positive it can if it's not soaked in the stuff. Just wanted to double check before I do it.

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais, VSII Senator 215i, VZ X8, WL Caprice
I had my roof lining changed recently and instead of getting my old one re-trimmed and put back in,I got a caprice roof lining re-trimmed,modified to fit and put in. Most of the stuff works,just need to get the speakers and rear radio controls hooked up,which wont be a major issue anyway

Excale

Aussie N Proud!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5sp Manual[SOLD], VN V6[SOLD],VR S 5sp
Awesome write up, would of helped alot of people, also you can use your old fabric and just reglue it, works the same.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
why do you need to use the foam, why cant you glue straight to the lining, from what ive seen the foam then material doesnt turn out any where as good as a trimmers job, i got quoted 280 to do the job and i pulled it out and got another quote and they said 180 LOL
is the best result just to glue it straight to the lining or get heavier material or something with backing on it and use that
good thread too very informative

The problem with putting the new material straight onto the board is that the board has little dimples in it. If the material you use is thin it will look hideous. IMO its MUCH easier to go straight to the board (applying glue onto the foam is a pain in the arse), but you have to choose a material with a very thick backing.

heyyy how did u do the door trims? can u say step by step thanks :)

Some door trims cannot be done. The easiest way is to go and look at your cars door trim. There are 2 different types of door cards, door cards that are held in place by stables (i think) from the back of the door trim and door cards that are "welded" in the door trim. It is quite easy to distinguish which yours is by simply looking at it.

If you have the type that is welded (from memory VR series 2 and onwards had this type) you cannot change the door card, unless you find a complete new door trim, or cut up your current one.

If you have the removable type its quite simply, all you need to do is take the door trim off and it will just pop off from the back.

Also, for anyone look for material I highly suggest looking at: http://www.nolans.com.au/

anderson*1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
thanks mnie need replacing as well might have to put the wife out of the kitchen for a hand thanks for the heads up for what im in for

VSCOMMYWHORE96

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS acclaim series II
hey guys i did my roof lining today let me know what u think :)?IMG_7420.jpg

holdendude

ŞuρξЯŞ†★Ř
Reaction score
Members Ride
*AL4SHO* VR Commodore
Different... But i love it, top job mate

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
I'd love to do this to my car soon!

VSCOMMYWHORE96

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS acclaim series II
its pretty easy dude :) need alot of patience it is a bit time consuming but its not rocket sience ;) i suggest doing it looks really good :) and is cheap too next im going to try panting my dash and interior :)