Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO replace headlining - Very detailed

VP-Matty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII V6 Auto Berlina Wagon
My question : is it advisable to replace the foam or could the original form be used if in good condition.

I used normal superglue to try hold it up even though the upholsters said it wouldn't work. They said the whole lot needs to come off and replace the foam and lining as also mentioned in this thread.

Does anyone know if the spray on adhesive may work seeing as its not too bad??

Hey guys,

Personally, I doubt the existing foam is any good. Most of the time the headlining is sagging due to the foam disintegrating rather than the foam becoming unstuck from the board. If you are certin the foam has just come unstuck then spray should be OK - just make sure it is heat resistant.

I'd suggest people check out Nolan UDA for the official foam-backed headlining material. I got 2.5m for my VS wag and it cost $17/m. Gonna go to Autobarn on Sat to get a pot of heat resistant glue and I'm done. $65 should be all for materials, and that's for a wagon.

Cheers,
M.

Edit - just saw the pics from Rumples - your foam is no good!

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Has anyone ever done this job without replacing the foam? I'm assuming it wouldn't make a huge difference to the final job if I didn't replace it and just stuck the material straight on?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
This was done with no foam. The old foam was thoroughly removed (came off easily with a bathroom scrubbing brush) and the new fabric glued directly to the cardboard.
Two things.. the fabric has to have some stretch in it.. and it has to be thick enough for the glue not to bleed through. I just used Kwik Grip.

attachment.php

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
exactly the answer i was looking for!
cheers man. ill upload pics if i can be bothered. planning to do it tomorrow

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
i got the old crappy foam off my vn roof liner with a wire brush. 10 min later its gone..
Is a vy sedan roof liner the same as a vn? wanna get rid of the stock color and make it black to match the dash and seats

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Ok Guys, found this long thread full of bogan efforts long after i did my VR Caprice, so heres some words about my experience

Remove ALL trim, plastic, door rubber etc items that interfere in any way with the headliner board being able to literally fall down. No sliding, no nothing, you can get tools from Stoopid-Sheep that will help with clips etc. Generally tho, leave the door rubber/weathercords until last

For a highly kitted vehicle like a Caprice, expect to find extra screws and wiring up there. Take care and it will all undo without drama.

Remove the board thru the left front door, after laying front seats back, steering wheel lifted high, gear lever back to 1. The board turns and comes out front first, with left edge at the top rear corner of the door opening, fits easily. Station-Wagon ones come out thru the tailgate opening. Some of you may have damaged boards, with a corner broken off or torn, or other breaks, scour the Ladies Car Parks (wreckers) to find a good one if need be, use the same care at getting it out as your own old one. Carelessness causes breaks and tears, dont hurry.

I want to try making a new Wagon headliner board by shaping some dampened 3mm MDF, if anyone has ideas to try

Remove and discard old fabric, it shrinks with age and getting the cutouts to go back in the right position is an imposibility, and the correct new fabric has the foam already attached. My local auto upholsterer had proper fabric that has the velour fabric sandwiched to the new foam, and a thin nylon type fabric on the other face.

The yellow material is old foam that has perished, the fabric sags because of the perished foam failing and breaking apart, some stays on the velour cloth, some stays on the board. Clean the board with suitable brushes and leave it at that.

Glue and gluing- the regular yellow contact glue, sold for years for gluing down laminex benchtops etc is as good as any, but do what the factory did, spray it on, no brushing. I used one of those long-nozzled 'Degreaser Sprayguns' that you get with the cheap airtool starter kits that you get when you also buy a cheap lil compressor. You cannot dilute the glue in any way to put it thru a paint type spraygun, but the degreaser gun works fine, just keep the air feed up to it, spray an even coat of the glue onto the board, laying upside down on the lawn is fine, and the new headliner fabric also laid out flat on the lawn. Not a windy day job, and if you have some bulldog clips and tent pegs it can be kept flat and sort of 'stretched'

Let the glue go off for about 10 minutes, give or take depending on temps.

If you have a helper, its good, position the fabric over the board, centred, and then press down and rub the cloth down to stick to the board, start at centre if you can, and work outward toward each corner, stretching the fabric a little as you go, so it forms a nice, smoozzzzzzzzzzz new surface, no staples, ripples, or kinks. A soft squeegee type tool works best, and smoothing it down with hands.

Once the fabric is all rubbed down, and glued, check the contured areas, then trim the sides and ends to match what they once were, if the fabric folds over the edge, some glue brushed along the upper surface of the board and similarly allowed to go off and then make the joint works well. At some parts of the edges, the fabric is simply cut flush with the edge of the board.

Next, working from the top side of the board, cut X-cuts in any openings using a sharp Stanley type knife, and like the edges, a bit of the glue brushed around the edges of the holes allows those cut flaps to be glued to the top surfaces. It's not necessary to glue down the entire flap, trim some off if you want. The Caprice headliner has many openings...

I do not recommend heavy vinyls like upholstery vinyl, or any othe heavy fabrics, the glue will fail too soon trying to hold heavier materials in place, especially in hotter climates. The layer of foam has accoustic and insulating functions, so it IS needed,, therefore, if you want to use custom fabrics, you WILL need to install it, same procedure, spray the glue, install the foam, then spray more adhesive, and install the cloth you are using, but remember, the glue MUST be applied to both surfaces being joined. The embossed Holden logo can be achieved by cutting it out of cardboard similar to the original board stuff, and gluing it in place, PVA glue works fine, then when installing the foam and fabric, a tool with a screwdriver-like edge can help tuck the fabric into the edges to help define the shapes. Again, work from the centre out, stretching and smoothing the fabric as you work your way out to the corners.

AT ALL TIMES AVOID LEANING OR KNEELING ON THE NEWLY GLUED FABRICS, THE GLUE WILL HAVE SOAKED A LITTLE INTO THE FOAM AND WILL HOLD IT 'COMPRESSED' LEAVING HAND OR KNEE-SHAPED DENTS. It took almost 3 months for one to disappear from mine.

Reinstalling the headliner back into the car is more or less the reverse of removal, easier with 2 people, and tedious to do all the extra wires and screws in the luxury models, but well worth the effort.

MAKE SURE, all the little velcro-clips and sound deadener material pads are reinstalled. Pads can be glued (spray) to the top of the board, or the underside of the roof.

SenatorEstate, the strut bars you refer to are, I assume, the metal 'bows' that help hold the roof skin up, they are welded to the inside side rails, but are not attached to the roof, the 'stuff' thats in there is basically a pad of stuff that prevents the roof panel slapping against them when anything is on the roof, or falls there, its a bit gluey, but there is a gap of sorts between the bows and the turret top panel. They should NOT be glued to the turret top

A wagon I am working on has had 1 or 2 extra bows added at the rear to let the rearmost part of the headliner board be clipped to it in the same maner as further forward, right ahead of where it dips down to go under the tailgate hinge recess box.

Lawdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt acc
Good only vinyl spray!!

yeah ive got to do mine in the VS, gives me the irrits, i wouldnt mind changing the entire interior toa red kind of color to match the exterior paint, but that would be allot of trouble lets sum it up.

Carpet on floor,
Front and rear seats.
Roof lining
Material on door trims.
Vinyl on doors, dash, center console, plastics throughout the interior.

A job i would only tackle if i had a complete interior from another VS to use, which gives me an idea.

Hey buddy.iv done it on my old vp, tape up th windscreen and all glass,( also anythin else u dont wanna spray) take ur front and rear seats out, door trims off. Dont worry bout th floor carpet unless u dye it wit some fabric dye while its out. Otherwise u can buy new floor carpets for like $130-$200 depending if u get plush or loop plush or watever u can choose from, (look in street commodores i used to c ads in there for them). Anyway once its prepped on th inside go hard with cans of vinyl spray, it works awsome. Make sure u clean th surfaces really good otherwise itll b ****. Ur door trims r easy to colour code it how ever u want wit design.i did a coat on th dash, then th 4 doors n other bits, again on th inside, n doors again, n so on until ur happy. Get ur centre console lid re-done properly wit some red vinyl ( it also sells th rest of th job as done properly, it cost me a carton to a mate so find someone wholl do that) wit th seats i had a couple of those SAAS seats so my back seats where different but nothin a plain seat cover of sheet cant cover. If ur happy wit that, u will most likely if u can afford it then get ur rear, front aswell if u dont get buckets. Then wallah, ur ride is custom to how u want it to look without th big expence of a buisness doin it. I used bout 2 big cans of blue, n 5-6 of black. If u can take an interior part off, do it. Cos u will hav more no how plus it will look better than if u leave bits in place. U mainly tape up th windows n that so u can do th dash, its a bit of a mish, i prepped it n did a bit on a sat, n then finished rest of th paint n reassembled it on th sun.#

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Hey buddy.iv done it on my old vp, tape up th windscreen and all glass,( also anythin else u dont wanna spray) take ur front and rear seats out, door trims off. Dont worry bout th floor carpet unless u dye it wit some fabric dye while its out. Otherwise u can buy new floor carpets for like $130-$200 depending if u get plush or loop plush or watever u can choose from, (look in street commodores i used to c ads in there for them). Anyway once its prepped on th inside go hard with cans of vinyl spray, it works awsome. Make sure u clean th surfaces really good otherwise itll b ****. Ur door trims r easy to colour code it how ever u want wit design.i did a coat on th dash, then th 4 doors n other bits, again on th inside, n doors again, n so on until ur happy. Get ur centre console lid re-done properly wit some red vinyl ( it also sells th rest of th job as done properly, it cost me a carton to a mate so find someone wholl do that) wit th seats i had a couple of those SAAS seats so my back seats where different but nothin a plain seat cover of sheet cant cover. If ur happy wit that, u will most likely if u can afford it then get ur rear, front aswell if u dont get buckets. Then wallah, ur ride is custom to how u want it to look without th big expence of a buisness doin it. I used bout 2 big cans of blue, n 5-6 of black. If u can take an interior part off, do it. Cos u will hav more no how plus it will look better than if u leave bits in place. U mainly tape up th windows n that so u can do th dash, its a bit of a mish, i prepped it n did a bit on a sat, n then finished rest of th paint n reassembled it on th sun.#

Ermahgerd!!!

Who let this bogan in here?

Sounds like a lesson from 'Turning nice old Commodores into S--tboxes 101'

That vinyl spray will get all scratchy and daggy looking in double quick time and look GROSS

Do it right or dont bother

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Ermahgerd!!!

Who let this bogan in here?

Sounds like a lesson from 'Turning nice old Commodores into S--tboxes 101'

That vinyl spray will get all scratchy and daggy looking in double quick time and look GROSS

Do it right or dont bother

What about using VHT Vinyl Dye and spraying it out of the car? (as what i was going to do)

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
About vinyl sprays, dyes, etc, all i would suggest is, test, test, test

Clean the old surfaces THOROUGHLY.
Go to the wreckers, get something old to test on, do some test sprays, yes, outside the car, and then after it has plenty time, harrass the sprayed surfaces with keys, fingernails etc, to test for scratch resistance

They can be great for recolouring a part that you cant find if you are doing a resto/rebuild, but i dont think I would recommend them for a full interior recolour job