Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO replace headlining - Very detailed

CK-VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Equipe
Replaced headlining with curtain material

Fantastic thread, had this problem in my VS so thanks to Coiners and all contributors for the handy tips.

Here are a few before/after pics if anyone's interested.

Couldn't be bothered stuffing round trying to install a layer of new foam, couldn't see much point having any and the car hasn't felt any hotter or colder than usual without it. I used all of a 1L can of Selley's Kwik Grip to directly glue curtain material to the cardboard once I'd scraped off the old foam. Glued it on in three stages, starting at the back and finishing with the front third of the cardboard section. No paint rollers used, just smoothed it out by hand from the inside to the edges. The glue did not come thru the material and was easy to apply to both the cardboard and material using a wide paintbrush before sticking them together.

Originally planned to do this on the cheap but then saw Warwick brand Luminous Colour Onyx at a curtain specialty shop in Melbourne, this meant an additional $25 small orders fee (it's normally bulk ordered to make household curtains) but I really liked this particular material, which has a metallic sheen and wanted to go a darker shade than my original velour, so was prepared to fork out the extra $$.

All up $110 for the material, $20 for 1L of Kwik Grip from Bunnings = $130. Still beats $330 at a professional upholsterer and at least I got a new look for the interior that I really like, instead of just more stock standard velour. Was late and poor light when I finished so the last pic doesn't do enough justice as to how good it really looks now! In one pic, I just noticed the headrest not is looking too great, might have to do up the seats next...

CK

Attachments

• New headlining fully installed.jpg
    New headlining fully installed.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 639
  • Old headlining.jpg
    Old headlining.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 548
  • New Onyx lining on cardboard section.jpg
    New Onyx lining on cardboard section.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 636

Jimmybeez

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Sedan
I used the kwik grip spray, 2 n half cans, $15.25 a Bunnings, bit expensive but it did the job, and had some trouble with a plastic staple gun so i returned it n spent abit extra on something heavy duety, got 2m's of 6mm thick foam frm Clark Rubber (there useless there)
the fabric itself for 1.5's only cost me $30. so far it looks pretty good and im happy with the job so far.
Just need to install n put it back up in the car 2morrow.
but heres a picture for now. hope you like it.
And also thank you verry much for this easy to follow guide

Finished pics ill put up 2morrow.
Photo0315.jpg

Photo0316.jpg

s-pack_a_punch

selling myself 4 $15G ono
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II S Pack Manual
vote for sticky!

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
I'm gonna take mine down tonight, and hopefully be free to fix it this weekend lol, if not it'll be heaps unit spec unit I get it done

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Umm, what about if the cardboard is sagging aswell?

Not only is the material separating from the spongy crap, but the cardboard itself seems to sag at the back half.

Is there anything i can do about this?

EDIT: Ive just realised i can use heavy duty velcro to ensure the roof lining sticks to the actual roof supports of the vehicle.

Now, where can i find "heavy duty velcro"? Spotlight???

Last edited:

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Ive just realised i can use heavy duty velcro to ensure the roof lining sticks to the actual roof supports of the vehicle.

Now, where can i find "heavy duty velcro"? Spotlight???

Last edited:

mcin7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
You can get some pretty strong Velcro from spotlight, costs around $10 a meter for one side, so really it's $20 a meter.

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Thanks mcin7! Has anyone else used velcro to attach the cardboard? If so, has the cardboard sagged/detached itself from the roof support?