Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to reset Engine Light or Airbag codes using elm327 usb

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Yea I googled it and then I tried it with my car and it worked. Do not pull the engine fuse like I said earlier it is not good for the car. And to retrieve or reset codes you first have to talk to that module. So if you want to check or reset engine codes you FIRST have to go to that module by typing "AT SH 6C 10 F1". And then you can retrieve or reset the codes. To retrieve type "19 d2 FF 00" and to reset type "14". This applies to all modules. So that means you cannot reset codes by just typing "14", you first have to talk to that module.

Have you conducted any testing with codes other than "10"? For example, most scan tools won't do airbag and ABS. I tried your method on my 2001 VX GTS and although "10" works correctly (brings up P0102) none of the other codes returned anything. In particular, I currently have an airbag light coming on for a short period after startup. It has now got to the stage where the light stays on for at least five minutes before it turns off. However, during the period that the light was on, no problems were detected by the scan tool using code 58.

hdenie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Buick lesabre 2003
Airbag light always on, on my 2003 Buick lesabre
The advise from UMAIR is wonderful . I got the code reader using elm327 usb and the proscan software .
After following UMAIR's "How to" instructions , I was able to pull the following codes from my airbag(58) module. ( 6CF1585981001399 and 6CF15859000017A2 )
I assume the actual code is after the 58 therefore the gm code is P5981001399 The meaning of this combination of numbers is nowhere to be found.
Is there anybody who could help me to identify my airbag light problem .

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The code should be after the "59". I'm guessing that airbag codes don't need to follow the mandated standard for engine codes ie. four digits. In that case, it could mean DTC "81", which is "LEFT HAND SIDE AIR BAG CIRCUIT SHORT TO BATTERY".

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
deleted. the second code you have that has 0000 after 59 just means end of list, so in total you have one code. Try resetting it and see i it comes back.

Last edited:

hdenie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Buick lesabre 2003
This is a message for both BLACKvxgts and Umair Thank you both for clarifying the Airbag Mistery code. I did reset with a code 14 and unfortunately the light came back on . So I have a "LEFT HAND SIDE AIR BAG CIRCUIT SHORT TO BATTERY".
Potentially, I have a short in the wiring to the airbag or the airbag itself is shorted.
Any way I am on the right track, but I need to do more investigation.
Thank you both for your help
Hans

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
Got one of these cheap chinese elm327 scanners but can't get any drivers for it to work on my laptop with Windows 7. Can get drivers to work on my desktop computer running XP. In Win 7 when i attach the elm and try to load drivers i go to device manager and look at it and it says (error10) can not be started. Any idea what i'm doing wrong or anyone know of some Win7 drivers that work?