Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to reset Engine Light or Airbag codes using elm327 usb

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
Thanks for the link umair. I tried that one and lots of other ones on the web but can't get any win7 drivers to work with this elm327 cable. It shows up in device manager but just says that it can't start. :bang: Works fine on my desktop with XP though.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I think if you display the driver properties in Device Manager under W7 you may find that it installed the standard Microsoft approved driver instead of the ones you wanted installed. W7 is a bit tricky. You need to delete the standard driver and manually install the one you want.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
as far i've seen you need a tech2 to reset

you can only see issues with that ebay em327 ****

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
I think if you display the driver properties in Device Manager under W7 you may find that it installed the standard Microsoft approved driver instead of the ones you wanted installed. W7 is a bit tricky. You need to delete the standard driver and manually install the one you want.

Thanks BlackVXGTS finally got it working. Did a scan today and it showed up two stored codes which i fixed a while ago so i cleared them. Did a scan on the airbags but it didn't bring anything up, i have the airbag light on and the chimes when you start up so not sure why it didn't show any codes. I used 58 like umair suggests. Any ideas? Thanks.

wayne0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.7 series III 6sp
Hi failed my wof due to air bag light (had seats out with batt still connected) is their a fuse i can remove to turn off dash light to pass wof while i sort out getting a scan tool.. cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
No, there is nothing you can do to turn off the light apart from getting it reset. People will tell you to remove the bulb but a smart inspector will check to see if the airbag warning light comes on when the ignition is turned on and all the warning lights illuminate.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Thanks BlackVXGTS finally got it working. Did a scan today and it showed up two stored codes which i fixed a while ago so i cleared them. Did a scan on the airbags but it didn't bring anything up, i have the airbag light on and the chimes when you start up so not sure why it didn't show any codes. I used 58 like umair suggests. Any ideas? Thanks.
The Holden VT/VX Service Manual has the following information about airbag problems that don't leave codes. With my problem, the airbag light illuminates a little while after the light has gone off after the ignition is turned on. It then turns off by itself after a certain length of time. However, this length of time is getting progressively longer and it's not obvious what causes the light to finally turn off (other than elepsed time after the ignition is turned on. Possibly looking like an SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module) replacement is required.

SRS WARNING LAMP ILLUMINATED (NO DTC’S STORED)
CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
Battery voltage is supplied to the SRS warning lamp with the ignition switch in the IGN or START positions through fuse F13 (located in the passenger compartment fuse panel). To illuminate the lamp, the SDM sends a serial data message to the instrument cluster (circuit 1220), requesting the SRS lamp to illuminate. When the ignition is switched on, the SRS warning lamp should illuminate for approximately five seconds to indicate
the system start up sequence / system wiring and self check. If no system faults are detected, the SRS warning lamp will be switched off.

If a fault is detected (either during this system check or during the ignition cycle), the SRS warning lamp will either remain on until the fault is remedied or if a DTC is set, until it is cleared. If a fault is remedied during an ignition cycle, unless the fault caused a DTC to set, the SRS warning lamp will turn off immediately. The SRS SDM will send a serial data message to the instrument cluster requesting the lamp to be illuminated if it
detects any of the following:
1. If battery voltage is below eight volts or above 21.2 volts.
2. If the energy reserve in the SDM is switched on (battery voltage less than 7.5 volts).
3. If the SRS is deployed.
4. If the SDM does not receive a poll from the BCM.
5. If one or more current or history DTCs are detected when the ignition is switched ON.
6. During an ignition cycle, if the SDM detects a current DTC, the SRS warning lamp will be illuminated.
7. The SRS warning lamp will also be illuminated if communication is lost (no serial data) between the SDM and the instrument cluster.

dyrgutt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS, VS V6 Wagon
Hey guys, is there a favoured ELM version [1.3/1.4/1.5/1.5a] for the LS1 / Proscan 5.9? I was thinking of getting one of those Orange/Blue ELM327 1.5a's off ebay, should it work? Thanks in anticipation.