Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Spell like an Australian

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
So if practise or practice fixed your gear-change issues then why, when you post a fair bit on here does your spelling not improve?
Flawed theory right there.

Because practice "doesn't" make perfect. Which I'm not, and never claimed to be.

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
Good pickups, vlv8vic.

I was pondering the issue today at work whilst reading an email from a colleague.

the "should of" problem is a big one, I agree.

Another one is related to the way a word is pronounced:

eg. some people say "known" as "knowen", adding another syllable.

I think the "but" suffix is region based. When I travel to NSW I find it is particularly common to end a sentence with the word "but".

In Queensland and WA I often hear "hey" used as the suffix.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It's funny that so many people on this forum would be proud of their mastery of driving skills and would be quite sure that repeated practice of basic skills such as clutch operation, gear-changing, braking and steering have improved over the years because of that repeated practice, yet couldn't basically give a stuff about their communication skills, verbal or written.

I tend to think it's just laziness, nothing more. They want to improve their driving skills but are not concerned with their communication skills.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Good pickups, vlv8vic.

I was pondering the issue today at work whilst reading an email from a colleague.

the "should of" problem is a big one, I agree.

Another one is related to the way a word is pronounced:

eg. some people say "known" as "knowen", adding another syllable.

I think the "but" suffix is region based. When I travel to NSW I find it is particularly common to end a sentence with the word "but".

In Queensland and WA I often hear "hey" used as the suffix.

I hear the 'but' one from most 14 year old girls now so maybe it is regional and i am in one! I also read it on here just today - stands out like a sore toe.

I've heard 'hey' added too. It is like a rhetorical question looking for agreeance. That's my theory anyway.

(as a side point i use the word 'agreeance' with intrepidation - commonly used but a re-work or agreement i believe that stuck somehow).

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
How about the "then instead of than" problem.

"this forum is better then Vic Street Scene!"

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
I hear the 'but' one from most 14 year old girls now so maybe it is regional and i am in one! I also read it on here just today - stands out like a sore toe.

I've heard 'hey' added too. It is like a rhetorical question looking for agreeance. That's my theory anyway.

(as a side point i use the word 'agreeance' with intrepidation - commonly used but a re-work or agreement i believe that stuck somehow).

the other annoyance is the word "like"...For the same pathetic reason they use "but" at the end of a sentence. except it's every 2nd word :bang::bang:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

Correct word is "trepidation". Perhaps this is another example of close-sounding words being misused too.

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
I really get ****ed off when i get a txt and all it states is " k ".
I honestly attempt to use correct grammer,spelling and so on but not many people do these days and the worst part is most of my mates from school whom pass with impressive op scores could now easily pass for the stereotypical redneck yank.

vlv8vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Correct word is "trepidation". Perhaps this is another example of close-sounding words being misused too.

well spotted, when i wrote it i sat and stared working out what was wrong, then we had visitors and i was hoping no one would have noticed in that time. damn! Indeed it is a very commonly used word... or misused word that can carry into written discussion.

On that note, as a kid i always thought someone who was in a coma was in an acoma! Probably because you hardly hear it without the proceeding a.

vlv8vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
How about the "then instead of than" problem.

"this forum is better then Vic Street Scene!"

hell yeah!!! that is used and used and used here so often. Sometimes it can change a sentence completely. I would have though it would be one of the very most basic things to master!

I'm fairly sure a lot of these issues are laziness. (a lot is another one, alot isn't a word).

What about some punctuation, i know i am particularly slack on the forum because at times i punch away with one hand but so many people have two car's which is just ridiculous. I guess in that case it is over-punctuated.