Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to start a vs commodore without the key

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yes can be done but no quick cheap solution that he wants....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You can just buy a key from Holden that should fit your barrel providing its the original barrel and BCM. Its not cheap though by the time it's cut and programmed.
It requires having had the car registered in your name with rego papers that prove ownership. Holden will sell you the blank key unprogrammed. They then send the key cutting code and programming code to whatever the locksmith they have an affiliation with, they won't give you the codes, they will only be sent to the locksmith. Locksmith sorts the key and providing everything is original car should start providing no other issues like dead DFI.
I don't advise buying a key from anywhere but Holden as Holden won't provide codes unless you buy key from them.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
You can just buy a key from Holden that should fit your barrel providing its the original barrel and BCM. Its not cheap though by the time it's cut and programmed.
It requires having had the car registered in your name with rego papers that prove ownership. Holden will sell you the blank key unprogrammed. They then send the key cutting code and programming code to whatever the locksmith they have an affiliation with, they won't give you the codes, they will only be sent to the locksmith. Locksmith sorts the key and providing everything is original car should start providing no other issues like dead DFI.
I don't advise buying a key from anywhere but Holden as Holden won't provide codes unless you buy key from them.
I got a security printout from Holden dealer, and I took that to a locksmith. I got a new key blade cut to code, simply because old one was worn out, a freshly cut key opened the door without jiggling the thing around.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I got a security printout from Holden dealer, and I took that to a locksmith. I got a new key blade cut to code, simply because old one was worn out, a freshly cut key opened the door without jiggling the thing around.
That's interesting because the way I mentioned it above was the way I had to do it. I too had a worn key. It was too expensive so I decided to not bother. Maybe it's dependent on the dealership policy and not Holden policy as I was lead to believe.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
thats a good outcome. With the age of these vehicles sometimes the locks have already been changed so this wont work for those cars.

Skid pigs usually are the cars that have had a hard life before they end up on the pad.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
These cars are very easy to start without a key, how do you think all the car thieves did it when these cars were considered popular to steal. I nearly lost my wagon to these little boot polished face scumbags.

Contact me direct via DM and I'll inform you how to do it as it's only going to be used as a skid pig and not a road car ...right ???

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
TBH i would suggest getting a mobile locksmith to come out and fix it for you. Not always cheapest but saves you time and frustration, but in the end if you work out all the running around and stuffing around might not be that expensive.

The FOB on my VS Ute failed so i have a mobile guy came out and supply and re programmed the fob on site for $180, also had to do the Barrel on my VX SS a few days later, same to come out $280 and fit new barrel.