Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to tell which engine came out of what car?

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Hi all. I have purchased a Holden ecotec motor from a wreckers yard and he gave me some other bits and pieces for it. I have just noticed that the dipstick tube for the motor doesn’t line up properly. Like the bracket sits way to high its literally at the exhaust manifold area. How can I tell what my motor is from so I can get the correct parts? Engine number? Different features? I also noticed that the thermostat housing only has one sensor when some other ecotecs run 2 sensors. My block also says “3800 series II” on the side. Any clues to what my motor could be out of? Thanks.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi all. I have purchased a Holden ecotec motor from a wreckers yard and he gave me some other bits and pieces for it. I have just noticed that the dipstick tube for the motor doesn’t line up properly. Like the bracket sits way to high its literally at the exhaust manifold area. How can I tell what my motor is from so I can get the correct parts? Engine number? Different features? I also noticed that the thermostat housing only has one sensor when some other ecotecs run 2 sensors. My block also says “3800 series II” on the side. Any clues to what my motor could be out of? Thanks.
Post up the engine number.

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
It won’t let me send a pic but it’s VAKA421 something something.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Need the full number. Clean it with a rag and solvent then rub chalk on it and wipe the excess off.

Reactions: Lex

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
And what eas the verdict?
Nothing more unsatisfying than trying to help someone answer a question and only getting "all good" when they figure it out, is there? I mean, really, is it the result going to affect you? Is it going to affect me? No and no. But I'm invested now, I need to know. At least he did come back and reply to you.

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Nothing more unsatisfying than trying to help someone answer a question and only getting "all good" when they figure it out, is there? I mean, really, is it the result going to affect you? Is it going to affect me? No and no. But I'm invested now, I need to know. At least he did come back and reply to you.
Yeah I try to reply I don’t get notifications for some reason. I appreciate everyone’s help without this app I don’t know what I would do haha.